Join now - be part of our community!

KDL50W829B - Bravia Sync issues

SOLVED
kevlaa
Explorer

KDL50W829B - Bravia Sync issues

Hello,

Has anyone else had an issue with Bravia Sync?  

Specifically my Home button and Options button on the TV remote stopped performing that action, and instead turned on the Blu Ray player?

Being a newbie to the TV this issue could easily be down to me, but I've looked here at the sync info http://pdf.crse.com/manuals/14HE559112/EN/brsyncset_europe_co.html and to me it just doesn't make sense?

Maybe I haven't given it enough time, but I thought Sony was in a league of it's own when it comes to usability?  I'm finding the sync thing pretty confusing.

Just wondered if I'm alone in this and it's me, or there's others out there?

Thanks

Kevin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

There is nothing non-standard in your setup, which is great.  However, what we need to do is trace down what the actual problem is (or which piece of equipment is causing the problems).  To do this, requires a little time and patience. 

#NOTE: Each time you connect or disconnect a piece of equipment, please turn the TV off (Standby mode should be OK)

1. Disconnect ALL devices connected to the TV.  So you only have left the Power and aerial cable connected

2. Ensure that you have the latest firmware installed.  See HERE
  3. Perform a factory reset of the TV - I think its best to be honest.  See HERE
  4. Once you have the TV back up and running again (ie been through the initial setup), test the HOME and OPTIONS buttons - They should be working.

5. Ensure that Bravia Sync is ON.  A couple of extra settings (Auto Devices OFF = ON, Auto TV On = ON).  See : HERE

6. Turn TV OFF, and plug in the Sound Bar via the Optical Cable (Optical should be used).  Turn TV ON again, ensure that TV Speakers is set to Audio System on the TV, and that you have selected Optical as the input source on the soundbar.  You should be getting sound via the soundbar now.  Test the HOME and OPTIONS buttons on the remote control again.  The should work.

7. Turn TV OFF, and connect the Bluray Player to the TV - Use HDMI 2.  Turn TV ON again.  Ensure that you have the latest firmware installed (See HERE).  Also ensure that "Control For HDMI" is ON and "Link to TV" is OFF (They should already be set to that as default anyhow).  See page 30 HERE.  Switch the input to the TV, so you are now watching a Freeview TV channel.  Test the HOME and OPTIONS buttons - they should work.

8. Turn TV OFF, and connect the SKY box.  Use HDMI 3.  Turn TV On again.  Ensure that you have disabled HDMI Control in the Settings of the Sky box).  Switch to the TV, on a Freeview channel and test HOME and Options Button.

At any point of the way, if the HOME and OPTIONS button fail to work on the TV, disconnect all the equipment, except for the device you have just added, and test this on its own connected to the TV.

Hopefully after all this, things work as it should, but if it doesnt, hopefully you have narrowed down what the problem is.

Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

Cheers

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

I note that you've seen the other thread about the home and options button.  However its interesting that the bluray player is affected.

I think before we get too far in troubleshooting, it might be best to gather more information on your setup.

Can you please describe all the equipment that is connected to the TV (makes and models) and how it is connected (ie which cable is connected to where)?

Cheers

kevlaa
Explorer

Hello,

Thanks for helping.

Equipment:
TV - KDL50W829B.
Sky + HD Box DRX890. Connected to hdmi 2 (not the MHL socket)
Blu ray - Sony BPDS5200. Connected to hdmi 3
Sound Bar - Sony HTCT60BT. Connected via optical cable for the moment.

Nothing else is connected.

Thank you
Kevin.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

There is nothing non-standard in your setup, which is great.  However, what we need to do is trace down what the actual problem is (or which piece of equipment is causing the problems).  To do this, requires a little time and patience. 

#NOTE: Each time you connect or disconnect a piece of equipment, please turn the TV off (Standby mode should be OK)

1. Disconnect ALL devices connected to the TV.  So you only have left the Power and aerial cable connected

2. Ensure that you have the latest firmware installed.  See HERE
  3. Perform a factory reset of the TV - I think its best to be honest.  See HERE
  4. Once you have the TV back up and running again (ie been through the initial setup), test the HOME and OPTIONS buttons - They should be working.

5. Ensure that Bravia Sync is ON.  A couple of extra settings (Auto Devices OFF = ON, Auto TV On = ON).  See : HERE

6. Turn TV OFF, and plug in the Sound Bar via the Optical Cable (Optical should be used).  Turn TV ON again, ensure that TV Speakers is set to Audio System on the TV, and that you have selected Optical as the input source on the soundbar.  You should be getting sound via the soundbar now.  Test the HOME and OPTIONS buttons on the remote control again.  The should work.

7. Turn TV OFF, and connect the Bluray Player to the TV - Use HDMI 2.  Turn TV ON again.  Ensure that you have the latest firmware installed (See HERE).  Also ensure that "Control For HDMI" is ON and "Link to TV" is OFF (They should already be set to that as default anyhow).  See page 30 HERE.  Switch the input to the TV, so you are now watching a Freeview TV channel.  Test the HOME and OPTIONS buttons - they should work.

8. Turn TV OFF, and connect the SKY box.  Use HDMI 3.  Turn TV On again.  Ensure that you have disabled HDMI Control in the Settings of the Sky box).  Switch to the TV, on a Freeview channel and test HOME and Options Button.

At any point of the way, if the HOME and OPTIONS button fail to work on the TV, disconnect all the equipment, except for the device you have just added, and test this on its own connected to the TV.

Hopefully after all this, things work as it should, but if it doesnt, hopefully you have narrowed down what the problem is.

Good luck :four_leaf_clover:

Cheers

kevlaa
Explorer

Hello

sorry it's taken a few days to respond, work / kids / time etc 

I'm glad to say that the factory reset worked!!

ok I had to go and amend some setting and name hdmi inputs but that's really no sweat. 

A superb tv, I just wish the operator was as good!

thanks for your help

Anonymous
Not applicable

Glad to here that it was a simple case of a factory reset :trophy: