Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

Hi

Just thought I would offer a bit of clarity around the Netflix discussion threads that keep popping up.

• Is Netflix coming to Sony devices?

Hopefully, no date confirmed as yet, but as you'd expect, we'd like to launch it on Sony Entertainment Network/BRAVIA Internet Video as soon as we can.

• Which devices will it be compatible with and will it be backported?

Not clear yet. We look to backport all services to as many devices as possible, but its not always technical possible to do. Whilst it is available on US devices at present, its not yet clear if Netflix would want to re-use the old interface or launch with a new interface, which makes things much harder to backport.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer below - mindful there are areas I cannot discuss with NDA's in place etc..

Thanks

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Tags (1)
201 REPLIES 201
drhowells
New

As you are not in the UK, I cannot really comment on the channels you have. Every country is different and the agreements Sony has to show channels and add-ons such as Netflix are different.

profile.country.da_DK.title
Delgado0102
Visitor

Just visit this site if you want Netflix or Hulu on your "old" Sony TV's.

https://www.overplay.net/

An when i say old i mean 2011/2012 because they are already outdated in Sony's mind..

Lesson nr. 1 - Never buy Sony again. !

Message was edited by: Delgado0102

profile.country.fi_FI.title
karlsus
Visitor

I have a Sony Bravia KDL-40NX273 and a BPD-S480 blue ray player..After reading the posts in this thread I understand Sony will not provide Netflix  on TV sets "older" than 2012 (although it is tecnically possible, but takes a little effort). If that is the way Sony treats it's customers I will never buy a Sony product again.

drhowells
New

If you have read this thread, you will know that it is NOT tehnically possible. The pre 2012 devices do not have the processing power to decode the new DRM that Netflix decided to use.

profile.country.fi_FI.title
karlsus
Visitor

Oh poor Sony, not technically possible! Fairy tales for stupid customers. Never, never a Sony product again.

jaorour81
Visitor

When did this happen? Because before Christmas, I was getting Netflix on me W5710 and all other associated kit from .... 2008/9

drhowells
New

Netflix UK has not and will not be available on that TV. You may have been accessing a different country, such as the US version via a VPN or with altered settings.

profile.country.sv_SE.title
michael08
Visitor

Was just about to purchase a new Sony lcd tv on a online store but good that I went into this forum first.

Without support for on demand services like Netflix on a Smart tv then Sony doesnt exist for me.

Will be a Samsung or LG tv instead seems that the Sony brand is no longer the leading brand for Tvs... Sorry to say!

/MIchael

sully1311
Explorer

If it's a 2012 model, it will have Netflix on. It's 2011 and 2010 models that have Bravia Internet Video but not Netflix.

Sony hasn't been a leading brand of TV's since LCD.

Message was edited by: sully1311

beardybloke
Visitor

This thread is so disappointing.

I have a Sony TV, a Sony Bluray and neither support netflix the on-demand service I wish to use. And one I know that is available on my TV or Bluray if I happen to live in the US.

I used to be a bit of a sony-phile, but sorry dropping support for new services on devices that are only about 12 months old sucks.

Never again. LG and Samsung here I come for my next set of devices.