Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

Hi

Just thought I would offer a bit of clarity around the Netflix discussion threads that keep popping up.

• Is Netflix coming to Sony devices?

Hopefully, no date confirmed as yet, but as you'd expect, we'd like to launch it on Sony Entertainment Network/BRAVIA Internet Video as soon as we can.

• Which devices will it be compatible with and will it be backported?

Not clear yet. We look to backport all services to as many devices as possible, but its not always technical possible to do. Whilst it is available on US devices at present, its not yet clear if Netflix would want to re-use the old interface or launch with a new interface, which makes things much harder to backport.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer below - mindful there are areas I cannot discuss with NDA's in place etc..

Thanks

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Tags (1)
201 REPLIES 201
Giftfromgod
Visitor

From working within the industry I have heard a few things on the grapevine.

2011 & earlier TVs & BR are likely not to get netflix on. I haven't been informed as to the whole reasons but it is stemming from processing power. I'm hoping to get a few more details tomorrow when our inside man comes in to advise on things going forward. From seeing this on the Samsung D7000/D8000 TVs then Netflix is sluggish compared to lovefilm in terms of navigation ... So could potentionally be true.

Better news is that it's most certainly coming to the n200 box, potentially the hx923 tv and slight possibility the ex320 TVs. The unofficial line on the grapevine has advised the official internal statement from Sony is that any device that has the HD iPlayer (n200 currently has this) then it will get Netflix.

For items that have this then they are not being directly replaced until at least IFA in September. What will becoming (which I'm lead to believe will be announced / clarified when Sony UK confirm the Netflix situation) is more content coming for these devices along the lines of sports.

No confirmations about itv or 4od as of yet despite many requests.

As mentioned earlier - I'm hoping to scoop a few more bits of information tomorrow & be able to report back.

kneejerkreactionman
New

Looked into Sony and other brands of Smart TVs recently. None of them have RTE player, Lovefilm (UK service only) or Netflix (Samsung have the icon on their top two models but it doesn't work according to owners on boards.ie). At least from what catmambo has said they are working towards getting RTE and Netflix and other services on there as soon as they can. I'm using the Sony tablet to get my Netflix fix for now....

Really like the TV3 app - seems to be a Sony exclusive as it was on none of the other Smart TVs?

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi giftfromgod

Just to clarify a few things. All BIV devices can manage HD and 3D, as it's just a bitrate being sent down your Internet connection, so a devices ability to handle HD IP stream is unrelated to whether it can receive Netflix. All our devices have iPlayer which includes an HD option for some streams, so there is no link between the two services, and no internal statement from me either sadly :smileywink:.

As I've mentioned, we want to put it on as many devices as possible and our Tokyo engineering team are examining this at the moment. I will hopefully have clarity very shortly on this as we had a telco with Netflix a couple of days ago.

To swerve briefly off topic, no update on channel 4 and itv I'm afraid. Both relationships are at different stages, but not much we can do if they don't want to launch services on connected TV's yet as ultimately it's their decision..

Thanks

Catmambo
Contributor

Hi kneejerkreaction

Interested to hear the Netflix app isn't working on Samsung - could you share a link to that thread? Yes the guys at TV3 did a good job on that app, hopefully RTE will also come to the party soon!

Thanks

kneejerkreactionman
New
profile.country.en_IE.title
caspermccormack
Visitor

Just checked again, reset unit and ran the update but says "already updated" and no TV3!!

kneejerkreactionman
New

What is the first app in the grid then? YouTube?

Catmambo
Contributor

I'd contact your ISP and get them to reset your IP address or something, first time I've heard of an Eire user not picking up TV3 on a device that is completely compatible. Also maybe get it checked out by your local service centre - you are comfortably in warranty....

Just checking you are in ROI, not the North as if you are close the boarder, there maybe an incorrect overlap, which the ISP would need to resolve directly...

Please keep me updated so we can resolve this for you..

Thxs

profile.country.en_IE.title
caspermccormack
Visitor

First app is Internet

Video search and then youtube, I live in Dublin and have UPC as my ISP.

Ataru_Moroboshi
New

ukcjm1

And the PS3 market is far bigger? As far as I'm aware, the PS3 is primarly a gaming console. The Blu-ray player I have sitting redundant in my living room was purchased as a Blu-ray player with online connectivity to online services, such as netflix.

Sony need to get their priorities in order.

I'm thinking of selling my player.

You're rather out of date with your view of the Playstation 3. Sony marketted it from day one as a multi purpose machine, and focussed very much on it's blu-ray playback during the first few years of it's life. It remains to this day, one of the best blu-ray players money can buy, and because of that occupies pride of place in many people's home cinema set-ups.

Adding video on demand was a logical next step, so it's hardly surprising to see Sony putting most of their effort into PS3 streaming given the user base. The sales of Bravias and BD players are microscopic by comparison.

The Xbox has also headed down this path, and the 360 now has a larger suite of streaming video apps than any other device does, outside of an iPad. Games consoles have long since moved on from just playing games, and you can bet when the Xbox 3 and PS4 come out they will have relegated gaming even further to the sidelines. As a gamer myself, I find this rather alarming, but that's the way both Sony and Microsoft are heading.

As for Netflix on the PS3 and Xbox, the Xbox implementation is more atractive than Sony's effort, but has far lower video and audio quality. (720p with Dolby Digital 5.1, and with currently badly broken black levels) The PS3 gets 1080p with Dolby Digital Plus 5.1, and perfectly correct, beautifully deep blacks.

Message was edited by: Ataru_Moroboshi

Message was edited by: Ataru_Moroboshi