Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

Hi

Just thought I would offer a bit of clarity around the Netflix discussion threads that keep popping up.

• Is Netflix coming to Sony devices?

Hopefully, no date confirmed as yet, but as you'd expect, we'd like to launch it on Sony Entertainment Network/BRAVIA Internet Video as soon as we can.

• Which devices will it be compatible with and will it be backported?

Not clear yet. We look to backport all services to as many devices as possible, but its not always technical possible to do. Whilst it is available on US devices at present, its not yet clear if Netflix would want to re-use the old interface or launch with a new interface, which makes things much harder to backport.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer below - mindful there are areas I cannot discuss with NDA's in place etc..

Thanks

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Tags (1)
201 REPLIES 201
psiops
Visitor

i think we all may be getting caught up in a round a bout conversation ,we all seem to be saying the same thing in a different way yes the ps3 is good for games as well as movies ,some people do use it as a multimedia player most as a game machine ,yes streaming netflix and lovefilm and otheres will bring about different problems, yes somepeople will prefer one over the other , but the main topic is why is it not on sony, so lets have a recap as to what we actually know, i watch netflix over wifi on my galaxy s (not sure if i should name product but edit and except my appologies if this is wrong)also i can watch over 3g with the same product i have unlimited data and so use this often, i can use my ps3 , xbox , wii,

also and not forgetting my pc , laptop.

now according to some people that i trust and comments made here we can also watch netflix on the very box,s we are talking about ,by kidding it we are in america, and there are bound to be plenty of othere ways we can view netflix please add if i have missed any or if you have discovered ways yourself:).

but the question that i would like answered and the question that started this is  i will break it down is sony blu ray going to give us netflix? ,is there a starting list of those we should expect it on? is there a basic time frame (we have had a sort of answer to this) and my last question if the answer is no to any of these i would like a definite why not. this is not a there are many factors answere as we all understand that the words fob off are in there somewhere .

i would rather a company say we have decided against doing it,are not up to the task than give me the run around i am not saying sony are not up to the task that was just an example .oh one last personall question about this can i use the ps3 to watch netflix on a psvita over remote play?

ukcjm1
Visitor

Hi Catmambo, the fortnight is now up so are you now in a clearer position to update us on Netflix?

I had an update on my blu-ray player recently and fully expected Netflix to be there when the box restarted.

Thoroughly disappointed.

What on earth is going on? And what are they updating, if not what we all want???

:anguished:

Catmambo
Contributor

Just an update on this - the challenge is simply that Netflix have a entirely new system for Europe and content is encoded and secured in an entirely different way to the US service, thus its not as easy as just copy/pasting the US portal into the UK. We are working with Netflix engineering teams to understand if anything can be done to solve this issue and backport the service to existing devices.

As soon as I have any news, I'll let you know more.

Thanks

profile.country.en_IE.title
dubbiff
Visitor

I feel like such an eejit! Why oh why did I not read this thread before I bought the smp-n200 (specifically for netflix). I now have a $85 ornament sitting on the shelf. I don't have anything new to add but I just thought I'd put my tuppence worth in and express my frustration with Sony. I also pay a premium for their products and expect a bit better than this.

jm30jm30
Visitor

Got a sony blu ray last week, and setup a netflix account for myself.  Can't believe netflix does't work on Sony blu ray.  should I hold on for this update? Or return it and get a make that simply works with netflix?  Probably be cheaper too.:smileyconfused:

micoreil
New

Hi Catmambo,

Thanks for the update. I too am waiting with baited breath to see how this issue will be resolved. I spent €750 on a KDL 40EX503 just over a year ago. The only reason I forked out this much was due to the promise of all the great content I would be able to recieve through the Bravia Internet Video service.

When I signed up to Netflix I presumed I would be able to access it from my Internet connected tv as per the following set guide:

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/support-info.pl?info_id=526

I quickly realised this was an american support page and when searching for the relevant uk & irish page I stumbled accross this thread and have been following it anxiously ever since.

I haven't jumped on the bandwagon kicking & screaming about my annoyance over the issue yet but your last update has left me somewhat perplexed...

"Netflix has an entirely new system for Europe and content is encoded and secured in an entirely different way to the US service.."

This statement is fair enough and I've no doubt it's probably true... However this is not a reason why the service cannot be backported!  This is purely and simply a software issue and any software issue can be fixed! Being a software developer myself I know this to be the case.

I am able to access the american Netflix service as well as the European site from my laptop (Sony VAIO) through a VPN client on my browser. So although the european content may be encoded and secured in a different way it is still accessible through the same browser!

This should also be possible through your Bravia Intenet Video service. I appreciate that it might involve updating the operating system/BIV software but it can and should be done.

I understand that your role here is to calm the waters and keep all the angry customers at ease with updates on the problem.  I would however ask that in future updates please don't stress that the hold up is due to a "challenge" or "issue" that can simply fixed by a small team of programmers in a couple of weeks.

Thanks

Mick

Batfinkk

Not sure that the simple software analogy holds water.. e.g. why isn't Siri on my old iPhone4 although its on the newer 4S? By your logic it should be on every mobile device Apple have made as its just software?

Surely sometimes new features simply can't be backdated - do you really think they would deliberately set out to piss people off and have numerous angry threads and forums, by not making it backwardly compatible? It servers them no purpose in withholding it and its not like they will sell more devices by holding it back in this economy. It could be down to speed of chipset or certification issues, any number of things...but name a reason why they wouldn't want to backdate it and keep consumers happy.....exactly. No-one is happy with a lack of backporting.

This will always be an issue with all new technology from any manufacturer, there is always something better around the corner..

stumpybloke
New

There is only one question for me... Does Netflix exist on a particular model abroad but not in the UK?  If so, then there is no excuse for this...hardware cannot be blamed because its the same and neither should licensing because it's on the PS3!

micoreil
New

Fair point Batfink.

However I really don't think it could be a speed of chipset issue as some of the other BIV apps are well capable of streaming HD content.. Eg Billabong app.

Besides that, If the service is available on a 40EX503 with BIV in the states shouldn't that same device be able to handle it in Europe?!

micoreil
New

Fair point Batfink.

However I really don't think it could be a speed of chipset issue as some of the other BIV apps are well capable of streaming HD content.. Eg Billabong app.

Besides that, If the service is available on a 40EX503 with BIV in the states shouldn't that same device be able to handle it in Europe?!