Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

Hi

Just thought I would offer a bit of clarity around the Netflix discussion threads that keep popping up.

• Is Netflix coming to Sony devices?

Hopefully, no date confirmed as yet, but as you'd expect, we'd like to launch it on Sony Entertainment Network/BRAVIA Internet Video as soon as we can.

• Which devices will it be compatible with and will it be backported?

Not clear yet. We look to backport all services to as many devices as possible, but its not always technical possible to do. Whilst it is available on US devices at present, its not yet clear if Netflix would want to re-use the old interface or launch with a new interface, which makes things much harder to backport.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer below - mindful there are areas I cannot discuss with NDA's in place etc..

Thanks

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Tags (1)
201 REPLIES 201
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi all

Its been determined that unfortunately Netflix cannot be back-ported to 2010 and 2011 devices due to the technical and DRM related issues as I have outlined already. Both sets of engineering teams evaluated this for an extended period of time and assuming that some kind of simple patch won't suddenly be discovered, no further work is being carried out on this topic.

I wholey appreciate this is disappointing for many of you, however every technical angle was examined and on this occasion it was simply determined that is wasn't going to be possible.

I can certainly attempt to answer any questions you might have on this though.

Thanks

ragriffiths
Visitor

Hi,

Thanks for posting the first piece of actual information we've had on this subject. Shame it's bad news for Sony customers expecting more from a global technology leader.

Do you know if there is a list published anywhere of which models this applies to?

Thanks.

garethelly
Visitor

I think that it is truely disappointing that after spending £300, that one of the main reasons for buying this product will now not be added. Absolutely gutted and will think twice about buying another sony product after seeing now they plan to pan off their older models and all the new features i.e nextflix will be applied to their new 2012 models.

profile.country.el_GR.title
sonytvgr
Visitor

I have just opened another thread about hide my ass on my KDL tv. (This is a way to watch netflix away from the US).

After singining in in HMA, I am given three options Download software, PPTP servers, DD-WRT router.

I tried the download software option that I know and used in my pc but I need to choose the operationg system. Which is it? Should I use that option or another one?

thanks!

psiops
Visitor

so is there any way we can trade in theses 2011 machines for 2012 ones i dont mind paying the difference but i do mind buying a machine that doesnt do what i bought it for,especially as we were told it would do ?

stumpybloke
New

If these devices genuinely don't, or won't do what Sony promised then they (Sony) have a problem...effectively these devices were miss-sold and the end user is entitled to a full refund wether Sony like it or not.

Batfinkk

Huh..? Where did Sony promise Netflix was going to be on these devices?

stumpybloke
New

I'm not saying they did, I'm saying IF...

easyworldrock
Visitor

This is really disappoinitng - I'm sure more can be done to get Netflix working on Sony TVs - after all surely it benefits both yourself and Netflix?

I recently bought a KDL-32CX523 - am I right in thinking that this is a 2012 model and will be updated to receive Netflix? If so - when?  - I'm starting to regret chosing a Sony TV - the Samsung model I considered has already been updated to include Netflix.

sully1311
Explorer

No this is a 2011 model, so you won't be getting it either. The 2012 models haven't even been released yet.