Join now - be part of our community!

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Netflix Support Discussion Thread

Hi

Just thought I would offer a bit of clarity around the Netflix discussion threads that keep popping up.

• Is Netflix coming to Sony devices?

Hopefully, no date confirmed as yet, but as you'd expect, we'd like to launch it on Sony Entertainment Network/BRAVIA Internet Video as soon as we can.

• Which devices will it be compatible with and will it be backported?

Not clear yet. We look to backport all services to as many devices as possible, but its not always technical possible to do. Whilst it is available on US devices at present, its not yet clear if Netflix would want to re-use the old interface or launch with a new interface, which makes things much harder to backport.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer below - mindful there are areas I cannot discuss with NDA's in place etc..

Thanks

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Message was edited by: Catmambo

Tags (1)
201 REPLIES 201
exsonyfan
Visitor

This just underscores the dissapointment I already had with the lack of forethought on internetTV by Sony.

I was the sort of Sony customer who just walked in the shop and bought the prettiest Sony but never again.

I didn't look at other brands and didn't fuss, I expected Sony to think ahead and take care of their customers.

However for Sony to take care of their customers and plan ahead in this internet tv arena rather than just cutting all the margin they can from the "muppets" is quite obviously too much to expect now.

I own a recent NX713 internet tv which I only found out was known as a "2010 model" through this forum, there was no point of sale notice to say Sony already considered it obsolete and unsupportable before I parted with my cash.  The list of what it already doesn't do is all over this forum and now add netflix too, wonder what else will be added to the list in the next months with more new services about to become available.

I could expect this of cheaper and nastier brands but Sony I thought you were better than this.

Message was edited by: exsonyfan

Message was edited by: exsonyfan

Paolo_G
Visitor

I see that 2011 TVs are not going to be able to show Netflix. What about the range of Blueray players?

Thanks, Paul

stumpybloke
New

I would like to know this too but I think I know the answer already.

For the record, IMO Sony's stance on back-porting Netflix to 2011 models is nothing short of appalling!  To be brutally honest I don't actually buy the reasons either...plenty of other makes and models have Netflix but not Sonys top of the line??!!  I think it's more a case of "can't be bothered cos it's too much trouble".

Batfinkk

Stumpy, can you quantify your statement please? My understanding was it was only some legacy Samsung TV's and LG Blu-ray players, as opposed to vast swathes of CE manufacturers as you have implied.

Do you not think Sony would prefer to make it backwards compatible and avoid forum issues like this? What motive would they have to not do it? Hell, most people don't have the money or inclination to replace an almost new TV  in this economy just to get Netflix, so its not financial.

I get you are frustrated, but I don't follow your logic, analysis or thought process here?

stumpybloke
New

@Batfinkk - nothing to analyse or to follow - I simply distrust big companies full stop-end of!  I am not saying I am right or wrong with that belief, but it is my truth and that's that.  I fully believe that if Sony really wanted Netflix on their 'old' devices bad enough they could and would find a way to do it.

THAT.IS.ALL :slight_smile:

sully1311
Explorer

Hawk50, as I stated in an earlier reply, Sony haven't released the 2012 models yet. Your model is a 2011 model, so you won't be getting Netflix, but at least you get the BBC News App. Us with 2010 models don't even get that.

hawk50
Visitor

Catmambo,

I have just bought a Sony Bravia KDL-22EX320B - it is also still on the Sony UK website today (Mar 19, 2012).

Please confirm therefore that this TV, currently being marketed by Sony, will receive Netflix.

If not, I would like to exchange it for a Netflix compatible model once available - please explain how. I bought the TV thinking Netflix would be available as an update soon. (Same for ITV Player & 4 on Demand - what is the update on their progress?) For Sony's existing customers and Sony's competitiveness, please reconsider & confirm Sony will continue to work on an alternative solution. I can't believe older devices on other brands (for example: 3 year old iPod Touch & 4 year old Wii) added UK Netflix immediately, but Sony can't handle this!

From the Sony UK website, 'Channels you already love, channels you've yet to discover; we've chosen only the best content for Sony Internet TV, including sports, drama, news and channels specific to your region.  We're adding new channels to the line-up all the time...'  Sounds great...!

It is not clear when the 2012 model year starts, for which models & how long the shops can hold old stock.

- You may have been selling 2012 TV's in the 2nd half of 2011 (like cars), or they may not have reached the shops yet. Please confirm.

- Only some models may be available for the 2012 model year...  Please provide a listing.

- Shops may be selling older stock still (2010 / 2011)...  What is Sony's policy?

If I have just bought an old obsolete model & that's ok with Sony - well you will have lost me as a customer.

Please give a clear, unambiguous statement to cover all of the above. I look forward to a full response.

Thank you very much.

PS - I have never written in a forum before.  I joined the Sony Community just for this issue.  I guess the majority of people don't write on these forums - Too busy / wouldn't know where to look or who to speak to / whatever.  It's not just the dozen or so people in this forum disappointed on this issue..

Many people would probably ask the shop salespeople who sell on behalf of Sony.  The salespeople don't know - They presume updates are coming (The Sony Centre) - They are not going to risk their sale.  How are Sony going to address this?

Message was edited by: hawk50

Message was edited by: hawk50

easyworldrock
Visitor

hawk50 – you make some really good points.

I naturally assumed that as I was purchasing my TV this year it would be a 2012 model – perhaps Sony could be a little clearer if the models they are selling in 2012 are 2011 models.

Like you – I am not the sort of person who signs up to forums like this – and have only signed up because I would like to use my brand new £400 Internet TV to watch Netflix.

I don’t think this is an unreasonable request – especially as the TV is currently (in  March 2012) marketed as the "full HD TV that's ready for the internet when you are".  Apple have already enabled Netflix on their £99 TV box from 2010 - and my 2009 iPhone 3GS which is getting pretty old now completely supports Netflix!

As for the TV not being powerful enough to support Playready - I'm pretty sceptical of this as it can easily cope with a Skype video call, which is pretty processor intensive. If performance was an issue, I am sure you could just force Netflix to display SD content only.

Sony - I'm really disappointed, and honestly thought that buying a Sony TV would be a wise choice, I guess I was wrong 😞

I can't help but wonder how the market will change later this year if and when the rumoured Apple TV is launched - however I'm pretty sure that failing to support your current customers with basic content updates is going to put you in a really uncomfortable position.

I and I'm sure many other customers would be really pleased if you could make the extra effort to support Netflix on your current range of TVs - after all it makes business sense for you, and will make lots of customers happy!

Image.jpg

Ataru_Moroboshi
New

Sony, what a truly deplorable way to treat your customers. If it's sheer laziness, then you deserve to lose sales by the bucket load. If it's because your products are technically incapable of being updated, despite their premium price tags, then you deserve to lose sales by the bucket load.  Either way, it's a PR disaster and people won't forget this in a hurry.

hawk50
Visitor

Could someone please provide a link to this forum, to Netflix.  Email / Twitter.  You never know, it may help if they saw the desire of UK Sony TV owners to be able to access their Netflix service.

The PC I'm currently on, won't allow.

Many thanks.