Join now - be part of our community!

New KDL-32W653A - can't update software

SOLVED
johnw636
Explorer

New KDL-32W653A - can't update software

Trying to update the software on my brand new KDL-32W653A.  First tried to update directly from the TV. I apparently have wifi network connection (have set it up) and have tried twice to update software. First time it got to 28%, second time to 29%, then stopped completely. This is on different days at different times. There seem to be some intermittent problems connecting to my network and the signal is not that strong (although my laptop is fine in the room) so I thought I would try downloading to my laptop and transferring.

So downlaoded the update file to my laptop (Macbook Air), copied file to brand new Sandisk USB stick with nothing on it apart from Sandisk software, put into into the TV as per instructions I found online, but the TV says it can see nothing on the disk. Then removed all the San disk proprietary software off the USB stick so there is nothing on it apart from the Sony update folder, but the TV still can't see anything on the disk - or it says 'no update software found' or something like that.

This is really frustrating, and I find I can't access any Sony support in the UK on a Saturday. 

I have to update the software, because although the Sony internet apps launched once or twice and I was able first of all to access iPlayer, now everytime I try to launch the internet apps either nothung happens at all, or it says I need to update software.....

Does anyone have any ideas what's going on with the TV update stalling, or how I can get the TV to read the USB stick?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

@johnw636 wrote:

Hi Thalamus

It was a guy in Maplin who told me they woudn't work if it was across different ringmains. Can you reassure me that you have experience of them working across different ringmains? I'd prefer not to spend the money on the plugs and then find they don't work!

I can confirm that I have set up homeplugs in a neighbours house on different ring mains, one upstairs & the other downstairs and everything is fine..

I have read that if you have difficulty setting up on different ring mains then try doing the initial set up on sockets close to each other then move one the homeplugs to the desired location..:smileywink:

If you do a search on Google I'm sure you will find further confirmation taht homeplugs work on different ring main cicuits..

The reason I recommend homeplugs in this instance is because the data transfer rate is usually more stable then using wifi which is ideal for streaming, etc..

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Johnw636,

welcome to the Sony User Community Forum..:smileyhappy:

The reason for the download stopping could be due to the signal not being very strong & dropping out during the download or there could be a problem on the servers at the download location..

To test this you could try connecting your Bravia directly into your Router or if the router is to far away try using a set of homeplugs..

However if you have downloaded the firmware update then go with this option..:smileywink:

The file you downloaded - sony_tvupdate_2013_3211_eua_auth.zip is a zip file & needs to be unzipped..

Once unzipped you should have a file called sony_dtv0FA30A05A0A5_00002100 which you can then copy to your USB drive *Note: make sure this file is not located in a folder but placed directly onto the USB's root drive..

Once the above is completed follow the instructions below..

1. Turn on the TV.
  2. Insert your USB device containing the file sony_dtv0FA30A05A0A5_00002100 into the USB slot of the TV set.
  3. Follow the on screen instructions
  4. When finish copying update file from USB, the POWER indicator will be flashing under updating. (White color)
  5. After several minutes, the TV will turn off and then turn back on to complete the update. - Do not remove the USB device or turn off the TV set.
  6. When the firmware update is completed, a message is displayed on the TV set.
  7. Remove your USB device from the USB slot.
johnw636
Explorer

Thanks for the reply. I gave up on the USB stick because the TV wouldn't see any files on it no matter what I did.

I took the TV into the same room as the WiFi and that fixed the problem of the software download, plus streaming iPlayer is fine in that room, so I guess the issue is to do with signal strength.

Is it possible to get something to amplify the signal strength in a different part fo the house?

I think the 'homeplugs' you talk about are plugs that use the ringmain to carry the broadband signal? I can't use those in this case because the ringmain downstairs is not the same as the ringmain upstairs, so it wont work....

Is there a wireless amplification device I can buy?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Johnw636,

Glad you have identified the reason for the wifi dropping..

@johnw636 wrote:

I think the 'homeplugs' you talk about are plugs that use the ringmain to carry the broadband signal? I can't use those in this case because the ringmain downstairs is not the same as the ringmain upstairs, so it wont work....

Homeplugs is possibly the easiest option as long as the ring mains are connected to the same consumer unit they should work fine, the only time I have known issues is when homeplugs are used on extension leads or surge protectors..:smileywink:

johnw636
Explorer

Hi Thalamus

It was a guy in Maplin who told me they woudn't work if it was across different ringmains. Can you reassure me that you have experience of them working across different ringmains? I'd prefer not to spend the money on the plugs and then find they don't work!

While I'm on, I'm also trying to connect my Macbook Air to the TV with WiFi Direct, and although I can connect, I can't get anything to play or Mirroring to work. The TV is saying 'unverified device' or something like that. 

I think I may need to download some software for the Mac to get this to work? Do you know about this?  I can post this as a separate thread if necessary as it may be useful to others.

Thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

@johnw636 wrote:

Is it possible to get something to amplify the signal strength in a different part fo the house?

Hi there

If homeplugs are not suitable, you could alway purchase a Wifi Range Extender, such as - http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA830RE-300Mbps-Wireless-Extender/dp/B006BBYXPA/

However do your research first before you purchase to ensure that you get the product that best suits your needs.

cheers.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

@johnw636 wrote:

Hi Thalamus

I can confirm that I have set up homeplugs in a neighbours house on different ring mains, one upstairs & the other downstairs and everything is fine..

I have read that if you have difficulty setting up on different ring mains then try doing the initial set up on sockets close to each other then move one the homeplugs to the desired location..:smileywink:

If you do a search on Google I'm sure you will find further confirmation taht homeplugs work on different ring main cicuits..

The reason I recommend homeplugs in this instance is because the data transfer rate is usually more stable then using wifi which is ideal for streaming, etc..

johnw636
Explorer

Thanks guys for helpful feedback on WiFi extenders and Homeplugs. I'll do some more research.

I'll post my query re MacBook Air and Wifi Direct separately.

I hope Sony Support are paying some of you guys!

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You;re welcome John..

johnw636 wrote:

I hope Sony Support are paying some of you guys!

No, we are just volunteers who try to help out when we can..:smileyhappy:

johnw636
Explorer

Well much appreciated.

Worth everyone being aware tho, that this is a multi-billion dollar corporation that's getting your work for free and relying on you guys over the weekend when they don't have any support available!