Join now - be part of our community!

Playing 3D movies from a USB stick

SOLVED
uzc123
Explorer

Playing 3D movies from a USB stick

I have a 3D TV, the model number is KDL60LX903. I have a USB stick capable of holding a 3D movie in 1080p, and I have converted the file into the format suitable for the TV. However, when I play the file and I want to turn the 3D on, the only options it comes up with are 'Off' and 'Simulated 3D'. Is there any way to play it Side-by-Side? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I' ve an S5100, normally it's able to read it without problem even if it doesn't recognize it as 3D displaying side by side the movie. Since, as Quinnicus said, it will be sent to your tv via HDMI it should overcome your problem

View solution in original post

Anonymous
Not applicable

As Roooob said above - it "should" work.  Obviously cannot 100% guarrantee, but from information gathered, I cannot see it wouldnt.  It you want a definate confirmation, you may want to consider contacting Sony Support.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The reason why you are not getting Side-By-Side or Over-Under is because the TV is not detecting a 3D signal. 

Firstly, I think you need to find a working test 3d file. There are some very good 3D test files from the following website: http://www.demo-world.eu/trailers/3d-high-definition-trailers.php

Goto the bottom of the page and you will see a Sony section.  Download parts 1 and 2 of one of the test videos, extract them, and test them via USB.  Remember you must play the movie first, before you can access the 3D menu settings on the TV.

I have played both Sony test files via USB on my TV (2011 model) and works with no issues.

Hope that helps.

uzc123
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,

Thanks for the reply. I'm just transferring the files from your link to my USB stick and also my 3D movie, to see if that also works this time or not. I'll update to say how I got on.

uzc123
Explorer

Hi Quinnicus,

Nothing worked. The files you gave me only gave me the options of 'Off' and 'Simulated 3D' as before. Any way to fix this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Interesting....

Did they at least play?  If so, did you see two side-by-side images?

uzc123
Explorer

Yeah, the clips played fine. When I pressed the 3D button on my remote and chose 3D format, only those 2 options were available.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When having a search around, I get this answer for your issue:

"I just spoke with the customer care and they said, that the side by side option is only available through HDMI input"

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1324728/help-with-me-sony-bravia-kdl55ex720-3d-playing

Also:

http://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-nx713-usb-network-3d-issue-possibly-effects-other-sony-models.1...

It seems that early 3D TV's could not play 3D videos via USB etc other than from HDMI sources.  I have a later model 2011 TV, of which works, but your TV seems to be 2010?

Thats as far as I gather - so basically, it doesnt look like it can be done via USB.  If you contact Sony Support, they maybe able to confirm this (or not).

Cheers

EDIT: Check to see if you are on the latest firmware, as it may have been addressed in an upgrade at sometime:

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/KDL-60LX903/updates

uzc123
Explorer

Thanks so much for your help, I might just get a Blu-Ray 3D player. Will the USB port on the BDP-S4100 be able to read 3D content from my USB stick? 

profile.country.IT.title
rooobb
Expert

I' ve an S5100, normally it's able to read it without problem even if it doesn't recognize it as 3D displaying side by side the movie. Since, as Quinnicus said, it will be sent to your tv via HDMI it should overcome your problem

Anonymous
Not applicable

As Roooob said above - it "should" work.  Obviously cannot 100% guarrantee, but from information gathered, I cannot see it wouldnt.  It you want a definate confirmation, you may want to consider contacting Sony Support.