Join now - be part of our community!

Sky remote changes the channel on Sony TV

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jerseybuoy
Visitor

Sky remote changes the channel on Sony TV

I have a new Bravia ex403 TV with an old Amstrad sky box connected through the AV2.  When I select TV guide on the Sky remote it changes the channel on the TV from AV2 to freeview channel 6.  How do I stop this happening ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
slowtrain
Visitor

Hi jerseybouy,

I don't want to sound as I'm trying to teach you, but I can only think of one thing that this is happening. I assume your used to operating the Sky remote and you know about the TV button on the Sky remote. In that if you've pressed the TV button and then another button like the TV guide it will change the TV in some way. You need to press the Sky button first before you try to use the the Sky box.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
slowtrain
Visitor

Hi jerseybouy,

I don't want to sound as I'm trying to teach you, but I can only think of one thing that this is happening. I assume your used to operating the Sky remote and you know about the TV button on the Sky remote. In that if you've pressed the TV button and then another button like the TV guide it will change the TV in some way. You need to press the Sky button first before you try to use the the Sky box.

UK_retro
Visitor

Hi I know this problem. I have come across this twice now. Both times the one common factor is the Sky remote. I have a 26" bravia in my house and have never had a problem with the sky remotes, but my inlaws have. They used to have an old Sony CRT with a sky digibox. When ever they pressed the TV guide the guide would come up ok but then pressing OK would drop the tv down to analogue tunner. This was a pain and was only solved when they dumped the old TV and bought a new Panasonic. Today I have installed a new 19" bravia lcd in the bedroom  and they wanted the old sky box upstairs, conected to the new  Sony, and the new freesat HD (humax) box for the panasonic in the living room. But guess what the same fault happened again on the NEW sony. When in SKY mode the remote changes the channel on the tv when you press tv guide then OK.

To prove it was the remote and not the digibox I unplugged that from the mains and it stil had the same effect.

As I say I have a larger Sony bravia and never had this problem so now I sussect it is a rouge remote as that is the only common link in the whole scenario. I will let you know what happens when I have a chance to try another remote. 

If all else fails can you put the sky box somewhere away from the front of the telly so you dont point the sky remote towards the tv pickup. Or if you are not on a sky contract then upgrade to FreeSat or FreesatHD+. And dump Sky.

UK_retro
Visitor

Good news... Just change the sky remote. We had this problem on 2 sony tvsand decided it must be the remote. After swapping for a newer remote the problem was gone. Just to prove it I brought the old remote home and guess what? it did the same to my sony tv. It must be a fault on some older sky remotes. I bet your sky remote is an old black one.

Cheers.

Porty001
Visitor

Hi jerseybuoy

I just bought an ex503 and had the exact same problem. Whenever I pushed the Sky button on the remote, the TV would show up a 6 every time I pushed that button. My remote was giving trouble as was mentioned later in this chain. What I did to fix it --> I removed the batteries from the remote and left them out for greater than 10 minutes (to reset the remote). I then put in the batteries and entered the TV code and now the remote seems to be behaving normally.

Hope this helps.

deniseann
Explorer

I have a new Bravia and have sky box attached, so there are no functions on my remote that work - the tv keeps switching off and I assume its some sort of timer but with sky nox attached I cannot work the sony remote when it says on screen press any button - any help please

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

In regards to the Sky Remote, have you looked at this thread : HERE

In regards to the TV switching off, you might want to turn OFF the ECO settings - such as presense sensor, etc

If you are still having problems, can you please provide more detailed information, such as model number and what exactly is it doing or not doing.

Cheers