Join now - be part of our community!

Sony 4k TV, is 4k Blu Ray needed?

SOLVED
Haine123
New

Sony 4k TV, is 4k Blu Ray needed?

I recently purchased the 55inch 4K Sony TV and was told by the sales guy (Sony Store) the S790 wasn't needed as the television would upscale the picture automatically. The player was only really needed very the far large screen sizes.

I already have a Sony 3d player, is what I was toold true? Or do I need a 4k disc player also?

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi,

It is somehow true. The actual normal Blu-Ray disc will be upscaled to mimic the quality of 4K. It isn't going to be fully 4K but comes close to it. 4K specific Blu-Ray discs do not exist yet as the standard is still under discussion by the Blu-Ray association. However we expect our Video on demand store to soon support 4K native movies for rent and purchase.

I hope this helps.

Kindest regards,
Nico
Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
tweety2b

Hi,

It is somehow true. The actual normal Blu-Ray disc will be upscaled to mimic the quality of 4K. It isn't going to be fully 4K but comes close to it. 4K specific Blu-Ray discs do not exist yet as the standard is still under discussion by the Blu-Ray association. However we expect our Video on demand store to soon support 4K native movies for rent and purchase.

I hope this helps.

Kindest regards,
Nico
Nico Henderijckx
Haine123
New

Hi Nico,

Thanks for the quick response.

Am I right to say you would agree the S790 won't add much my current Sony Blu Ray player and the 4k TV aren't already giving me?

Thanks,
Phil
tweety2b

That is my understanding yes 😉

Cheers,

Nico

Nico Henderijckx
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just for the sake of debate :slight_smile:

Native 4K will always be better than upscaled !

However 50GB blu-ray discs are not suitable for 4K.  However with the next generation discs 300GB ( See News Article and Here ) are/will they be backwards compatable with current generation blu-ray players?  Or is it that once the new media are out, a new player will be needed because of a new laser or something?

Which brings up an interesting question on the PS4 and the new discs (and 4K) :slight_smile:

Catmambo
Contributor
Anonymous
Not applicable

Now thats a coincidence (or even spooky).  I have just finished reading that article a couple of minutes BEFORE you posted the link.  I was reading up on it myself too !