Join now - be part of our community!

Sony KDL42W653a Apps Issue

SOLVED
Giles_W
New

Sony KDL42W653a Apps Issue

Hello

I have been trying to access the Sony Entertainment Network "All Applications" list, which only brings up a few applications unless I leave it loading on the page for 5 minutes where it finally comes up with the entire selection. 

Once this has happened, if I try and go on an application such as Netflix, I receive the message "The application is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later". The same happens with other apps such as Sky News etc. 

My internet connection is fine and have tried both wired and wireless. I have reset the internet aswell as doing a factory reset and unplugging the television from the wall for 10 minutes.

Could someone please advise me on what I can do to get this working.

Many Thanks 

187 REPLIES 187
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its possible that the cause of the problems yesterday was that Amazon Web Services (AWS) had an unplanned outage yesterday.  AWS also handles the Netflix traffic as well as a host of many other services.

Reading other sources of news about this, it seems AWS was suffering high usage load at one of its data centres a bit  longer than the BBC article is reporting.

BBC Link = http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-23839901

Woktolivelife

Something's still afoot today a selection of the apps are showing up temporally unavailable catching up after the bank holiday weekend I guess . I decided to adopt the stance that to ignore my honeymoon paranoia with a new Tv that its my fault or something wrong with the TV and uninformed call centres and assume that it's just out of my control and enjoy the picture quality of the tv through whatever means /source ARE available
Dacron123
Explorer

I have a KDL42W653 and am also having this issue. None of the apps like Netflix, Lovefilm or Iplayer are working. I get the temporarily unavailable notice.

Video Unlimited is working however. I don't have an account but I have been able to watch previews from the service with no problem whatsoever.

It was very difficult to find anywhere where I could post anything about this issue and there are no service updates or anything so far as I can see (or I just don't know where to look).

Clearly my internet connection is fine - it's either a problem with the SEN network or an issue that has just developed with this model.

It was all fine two days ago

Woktolivelife

Thought I,d mention I actually have the w805 model they do run the same software however but still feel its a cloud server issue still unresolved I actually got to watch Netflix earlier for an episode of breaking bad but now gone back to temp unavailable
rokilpa
Explorer

I had the same problem today but seems ok now

fragilejiffy
Explorer

I have the 32 inch version of this TV and have exactly the same issue.

The TV seems to connect to the internet OK (the browser works), but the apps have been intermittently unavailable (more off than on) for the last few days.

My internet connection is about 16meg. I've tried a factory reset on the TV, restarting the router etc, but nothing seems to work.

chsmith2844
Explorer

I am also having issue using any media based apps,I have the 32 inch version of this tv and a 60 meg connection.The internet browser is working fine and the Youtube app on my PS3 has no issues.

sbg1967
Explorer

I have the KDL42W653A and I am having problems with apps too.

All was well until Sat evening / Sun morning.  If I refresh the internet content then wait 10 mins the apps appear back.  1 time out of 5 it lets me into Netflix.

Youtube works fine as well as a few others but the vast majority don't

Steve

mdicker1943
Explorer

My w8 installed today apps dissapered and before ask super fast broadband 25-35 meg.
Access the internet fine
Only just purchased whats the cooling off period .
Woktolivelife

Well a start would be if Sony via the support centre acknowledge that there is an issue rang today and its been referred to next level pointed them to read this thread here too as mine is not just an isolated case how much do they care I guess it depends how many start noticing and complaining . Given I was not just outside my return period I'd seriously consider an alternative after my experiences