Join now - be part of our community!

USB media playback

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Cyrax.NET

USB media playback

Hi All,

I am sure your all sick of USB media playback questions.  I'll keep it short.

I understand that many have issues with different video formats and the peculiarities playing from USB.  My question is why my KDL-40EX403 will not play an XVID AVI file in full while it can play a shorter sample of that sample file fine?

File Details Here (screenshots taken from VLC)

As you can see, they both have the same codec, resolution and audio streams.  The 30 second sample file plays fine, the full length does not.  "Media playback not available".

I probably cannot do anything about it but curious why.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Yes, lots of questions about USB playback - far too many variables to write a proper FAQ :slight_smile:

One thing you've forgot, is the file size.  Thats the only explanation that I have at this stage - between why one works and one doesnt.  However I cannot find the exact answer on what the filesize limit is.  FAT32 supports 4GB filesize, however I have a suspicion that the limit is 2GB (See : HERE - I know your TV is not listed, but may still be the case)

Other than that - I guess more detailed information is needed.  A good work-around is to use Homestream for DLNA Streaming instead.

Cheers

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Yes, lots of questions about USB playback - far too many variables to write a proper FAQ :slight_smile:

One thing you've forgot, is the file size.  Thats the only explanation that I have at this stage - between why one works and one doesnt.  However I cannot find the exact answer on what the filesize limit is.  FAT32 supports 4GB filesize, however I have a suspicion that the limit is 2GB (See : HERE - I know your TV is not listed, but may still be the case)

Other than that - I guess more detailed information is needed.  A good work-around is to use Homestream for DLNA Streaming instead.

Cheers

profile.country.en_GB.title
Cyrax.NET

Strangly the file size is not an issue as it's less than 2GB so I will leave it as a mystery unknown :thinking:

However great tip with the Sony Homestream.  I had largly given up on DLNA/Media server software few years back but the Servio core, Homestream uses, is actually pretty decent.  I was able to play all the files the Bravia had previoulsy failed to play using the transcoding option.  What is more, I set it up on an old Sony Vaio laptop with a Celeron CPU and film transcoded fine.

So all I can say is, if you are having issues with playback from USB, forget it and install Homestram or other Bravia compatible mediaserver software and just use that.  Easier in the long run.