Join now - be part of our community!

W6xx: Vertical banding issues

profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

W6xx: Vertical banding issues

My W654 suffers from vertical banding (disappointing after all the reviews I read called the uniformity good). Is this a problem with all Sony TVs? Is there a cure? 

I encountered info suggesting wiping computer monitors with something frozen to restore uniformity, but I don't know if it applies to vertical banding, which is common in TV screens but not computer monitors.

16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Depending upon the severity of the vertical banding (unless its just a little 'nit-picking'?)  there is not much this forum can do.  My advice is to contact the retailer you purchased the TV from and see if you can arrange an exchange (depending upon how new it is).  Other than that, you will need to contact Sony Support : HERE.

Its not a problem with all Sony TV's as there would be far more complaints if there was.  The W6 range is an extremely popular TV. 

I would NOT advise you doing any of the home-made tricks - you could make the problem worse and void warranty at the same time.

Cheers

hcr_hassen

Thanks. I've seen forums replete with people having it. Not only on Sony TVs, but pretty much every other manufacturer as well. Some manifestations are much worse than what I have, but I still find it annoying. With the right picture content it just sticks out, like a layer between the me and the actual picture.

I think most people just aren't that picky usually, so manufacturers keep on selling monitors with these problems as "by design" and "it is not a malfunction".

I wonder how common this problem is. Do you have it on your monitor(s)? How bad is it?

I guess I should take photos.

Anonymous
Not applicable

You are right.  Unfortunately there are some draw-backs in the LCD technology.  V Banding and/or clouding.  I have a 2013 W8 TV, although I cannot see any verticle banding, I do notice some clouding in certain scenes.  However it is no where near as bad as some pics I have seen.  In my case its barely noticable.  My issue is poor black levels, but thats a different story.

Now this is the problem with 'nit-picking'.  Once you have identified a problem or issue, you are inheritantly aware of it.  Your eyes are then drawn and focused to the problem like a dead pixel. 

This is one of the reasons why 'good' retailers generally allow you to swap a TV within the first week or month of purchasing.  Some TVs are simply worse than others. 

Bring on OLED and QDLED - cant come soon enough.

hcr_hassen

Is your W8 also VA? I think I would take DSE over banding, because it's at least random in nature and not so well defined as vertical bands.

My entertainment usage of the monitor is in full darkness, so I can't say I'm impressed with the blacks on this W6 (which as I understand is supposed to be as good as it gets for LCD without FALD). But far worse a problem in this regard is that the viewing angles are so poor that even a single viewer sitting in the dead center has too much angle to the sides of the screen. This results in "shifting black": it's not only brighter on the sides/top/bottom, but it also moves with your head. Very annoying, and an epitome of LCD for me. At least it's not as bad as TN.

I really hope OLED ends up proving itself a superior successor to plasma. Two things I am worried about are burn-in/retention and limited lifespan. I was also surprised to see viewing angle problems on an AMOLED cellphone, but I'll chalk that up, for now, to coating/top layer problems on a mid-priced phone with older tech.

I've never seen QD. It sounds promising, but it's too new to say if that's the holy grail or not. :slight_smile:

Anonymous
Not applicable

The 2013 W8s use an IPS panel - hence poor blacks.  You would hate this in a pure dark room, but most of my viewing is in a bright room during the day, and at night I have the kitchen light on, which shines in the lounge nicely during night time - with Black Corrector on and Adv Contrast Enhancer too. 

Overall I actually like the TV.  Its a marked improvement over my NX723 I had in term of picture quality and features.  However I prefer the design of the NX723 with the gorilla glass :slight_smile:

OLED has been slow to come to the market, due to high rate of manufacturing errors = high cost.  QDLED seems to be the sweet spot from what I have read - and cheap too - More info HERE.

Jake242
Explorer

I have not noticed any Vertical Banding since applying the settings in this post:

http://www.avforums.com/threads/sony-w6-owners-thread.1776014/page-78#post-19993082

profile.country.RO.title
cosmingpx8

Hello, this problem is encountered in almost all TVs, you defect causes vertical lines is due panglicilo displeiul led.Ele are made from copper or radio grafit.Ca be changed to remove the fault LED screen.

My W654 suffers from vertical banding (Disappointing after all the reviews I read Called the Uniformity good). Is this a problem with all Sony TVs? Is there a cure?

I encountered computer monitors with info suggesting wiping Something frozen to restore Uniformity, But I do not know if it Applies to vertical banding, the which is common in TV screens But not computer monitors.

Me too

hcr_hassen

It's difficult to capture an authentic view of this, but here's an attempt with two uniform grey colors. The most troubling verical band is the one 1/3 from the left. The second worst is the one about 1/3 from right. The rest aren't that conspicuous mostly.

The photos are over-exposed, the screen color is not as bright in real life. The darker splotch is not a "real" irregularity, it's due to the panel's limited viewing angles. The splotch moves with the camera (or your head).

There are a few other shots in the gallery here, with two extra colors.

Jake: Maybe you had a different problem? The bands are a physical problem, not a software one.

cosmingpx8: I didn't get some of what you said/translated.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Yes I can quite clearly see the banding.  However if this is not noticable in 'normal' viewing conditions, I wouldnt worry about it too much.  However upon saying that, in regards to your other thread (pixel over-drive), between this issue and the other one, there really is only one option, contact either your retailer or Sony Support to arrange a replacement/repair.

I have no other suggestions im afraid 😞

Please let us know how you get on.  Im interested to know.

Cheers