Join now - be part of our community!

W6xx: Vertical banding issues

profile.country.en_GB.title
hcr_hassen

W6xx: Vertical banding issues

My W654 suffers from vertical banding (disappointing after all the reviews I read called the uniformity good). Is this a problem with all Sony TVs? Is there a cure? 

I encountered info suggesting wiping computer monitors with something frozen to restore uniformity, but I don't know if it applies to vertical banding, which is common in TV screens but not computer monitors.

16 REPLIES 16
hcr_hassen

It is visible in standard viewing. You just have to hit the right grey or mid-level colors. The first shot is the background color of my text editor. In the gallery (linked in the previous post) it's visible on the Windows 8 Metro themed screens, though there it's not as bad as some other colors (but it does give the background a decidedly uneven look). It's also visible in some movie scenes, and games (Limbo is one example, and nice game at the same time :)).

As far as you know, is this worse than expected?

Anonymous
Not applicable

My NX723 (VA I believe) had this verticle banding - slightly worse than this too.  But never really noticed it unless watching sport on TV - its the green fields of football/cricket.  But then again, I liked the TV at the time, it was too late to swap it, so put up with it :slight_smile:

But my new W8 (IPS), I cannot detect any banding, so I guess im lucky on that one :slight_smile:

hcr_hassen

Some stuff I read perhaps points to vertical banding being less of a problem on IPS, but I could be wrong.

Maybe there's hope, as this other thread on the W65x suggests:

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/home-cinema-projectors-players/bravia-w6-acceptable-level-of-banding/...

Beamoboy
Explorer

I have a W955B and the banding on sport is horrendous. It is now getting so irritating that I have started noticing it on normal programmes. Sony as usual are being defensive about it. My question is, can it be fixed as Sony are claiming and how long before it comes back?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Just saw the picture in that link - now thats pretty bad banding :slight_smile:

How to fix it - Im not sure there is a simple fix - I think its a case of litterally replacing the LCD panel itself.

profile.country.RO.title
cosmingpx8

Hello, this problem have forgotten most models on youtube and find many solution.

hcr_hassen

I've seen another W65x in a store. Not ideal light conditions, but as far as I could tell it was better than the one I had.

I've replaced my 42W654A with a 50W705B. This one is better as far as vertical banding is concerned, though by no means anywhere near perfect. But it has other uniformity problems that are worse than the 42W654A. Is it better overall? Possibly it is, just because those vertical bands were more well defined and distinct. Still, a disppointment. This is not what I'd call good uniformity.