Join now - be part of our community!

X9005A HDMI 4 Upgrade For HDCP 2.2/FMP -X5 Media Player

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
sound10

X9005A HDMI 4 Upgrade For HDCP 2.2/FMP -X5 Media Player

Hi everyone, just wondering what Sony will be doing for it's UK Customers who own earlier versions of the X9005A, including myself with the HDMI 4 port seperate on the back, rather than together in later versions. From what I've read on the web, the later versions of this TV with the HDMI 4 port upgraded support HDCP 2.2, whereas the earlier versions of this TV don't. This upgrade will become necessary once the FMP - X5 Media Player is launched.

US Customers who own earlier versions of this TV are being looked after by Sony as they are being offered a free in house upgrade.

However with regards to UK Customers, Sony UK have said nothing. Some poeple have tried to find out what Sony UK will be doing with regards to this, but apparently have been ignored. This is not good enough imho.

Please could Sony UK let us customers know what they are going to do with regards to this asap.

Thanks  

80 REPLIES 80
profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Will be giving Sony UK a call today with regards to this and also my local Sony Service Centre which I have used a few times in the past. The hardware link is also provided on the FMP-X5 Media Player page on the Sony UK website :-

http://www.sony.co.uk/buy/fmp-x5

Will let you all know how I get on :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Hi everyone, had a result with regards to this and my TV is booked for an upgrade. Initially when I rang up, I was told that it was a software upgrade rather than a hardware upgrade that was required. I said that this is incorrect. I provided the link on the Sony UK Website with regards to this and was put on hold for a couple of minutes. The person that I spoke to then came back to me, apologised and said that it was a hardware upgrade that is required and that Pacifica Repair Group would be in touch within 24 hours to arrange a time to do the upgrade. I was then asked if my TV was wall mounted or not. Mine isn't.
Also, I will give you the name of the representative that I spoke to at Sony Customer Care with regards to this. Her name is Cherine Mohamed. Cherine was very good and helpful when I spoke to her earlier today. Also Cherine said that she will make everyone aware in the Call Centre with regards to this upgrade. All you have to do is ring up Sony Customer Care and say I need the FMP-X5 Upgrade. Hope this helps. Will let you guys know how I get on. One final point, I did say that I want to chose which Service Centre does my upgrade. I was told that when Pacifica ring me back, then that should not be a problem.
Alternatively just ask for Cherine when you ring up and it will be sorted ! :) :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Okay seems that some forum members are still having problems.

cheesemonster
Explorer

It's a shame that other people are still having problems communicating this to the CSRs at Sony's call centre. I know I'll have to call them eventually, but I get the feeling that if I can't speak to this Cherine then I won't get anywhere with the rest of them. It's all well and good leaving a message, but they NEVER call back.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

The issue with the call centre has been raised.

Cheers

cheesemonster
Explorer

Heh. They're still completely unaware of it though, as was Amel who just sent a reply to an email which I sent to CIC a few days ago.

I just called the CIC and followed sound10's sage advice. I got the person I was talking to to actually LOOK at the 4K activation website. I also mentioned Pacifica, and the combination of the two seemed to make the CSR twig that there might actually be something here, so he took my details and off he went, and after a few minutes he said that I'm now booked for an engineer visit and that Pacifica will be contacting me within the next 24 hours to arrange it. 

I would be happy, but this whole process has been like ice-skating uphill and it really, REALLY shouldn't be that difficult to disseminate this sort of information to the CIC. Kudos to Mina for actually listening to me, and not just reeling off his script and dismissing my claim out of hand like Ahmed did the other day.

darrenng
Explorer

I must be missing something, I bought the X9005A and so far it doesn't do most of what I was told it would, now I'm told I have to pay £350 (plus the addition of an extra box to which would not be practical) to be able to stream 4k  films on my screen. In the UK surely the screen would be deemed not fit for purpose and Sony should provide a free fix solution or replace with an updated model. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi darrenng

Your concerns have been discussed at length in the following thread:

http://community.sony.co.uk/t5/televisions/sony-x9005a-owners-amp-netflix-4k-hevc-codec/m-p/1591963

The FMP-X5 is about adding the HEVC/H.265 codec support to the TV, of which it wasnt available (or ratified) to the 2013 TVs.  It will also add Netflix 4K support as well.

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi All

I know this is a little late (for most) - But I have received confirmation that Call Centre staff have been briefed and are aware of the HDCP 2.2 upgrades.

Cheers.

profile.country.GB.title
sound10

Hi, just had a call this morning from Pacifica Group (0800 Repair) saying that the part is out of stock and if I would like to upgrade to the 55X9005B. I was also told that the part might not be available until January 2015. I said that I will have to thing about it and get back to them.
I then spoke to my local Service Centre with regards to this. The lady that I spoke to was very helpful and gave me the part no and the part name. The part no is A1952947A and the part name is CX Mount. My own personal opinion on this, is that there is now way that I will accept the X9005B as in my humble opinion, it is a downgrade on the X9005A. Yes the X9005B has the Netflix 4K Codec, but in terms of design, picture quality and sound, the X9005A is a superior TV. I had the chance to compare the X9005A with the X9005B in my local electrical retailer. Side by side comparison with picture and sound, the X9005A came out on top. Not only did I think it, but all the staff agreed. What surprised me the most was the difference in sound quality. The X9005A's Magnetic Fluid Speakers are much better than the X9005B's and it's really obvious to myself when I see the X9005B that Sony have cut costs on the new set. Sorry, but I have to say how it is.
I will be speaking to Sony UK this morning with regards to this as I don't really understand why the part won't be potentially in stock until January 2015. US Customers have already had the upgrade so the part is available. What is Sony doing ?