Join now - be part of our community!

Youview on KDL-40W605B

SOLVED
Pawsden

Youview on KDL-40W605B

Hi, it's me again, so sorry. Am I right in thinking this model is not eligible for YouView? I have tried to research this on the SONY information and it looks like it's not eligible. We only bought this TV three years ago, I know technology changes fast but am surprised if there is not come solution for a 3 year old TV? We would like to be able to get ITV and Channel 4 catchup or/and UKTV. We do have BBC Iplayer (when Sony feels like it as it does play hide and seek rather t a lot along with Amazon Prime). If there is no SONY solution, would a Firestick solve this? Or will I still have problems with the TV recognising this? Thanks. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Even if you purchased your TV 2015, the model is still a 2014 model.  However to answer your question, it matters not.  Only Sony's Android based TVs are capable of YouView.  They keyword is Android.

Also please see point number 5 in the general FAQ, which im slowing putting together:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/faq-s-on-this-forum/td-p/2333989

Cheers

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Pawsden

Sorry, a correction. We bought the TV Jan 2015, so it's just over 2 years, not 3.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there

Even if you purchased your TV 2015, the model is still a 2014 model.  However to answer your question, it matters not.  Only Sony's Android based TVs are capable of YouView.  They keyword is Android.

Also please see point number 5 in the general FAQ, which im slowing putting together:

https://community.sony.co.uk/t5/android-tv/faq-s-on-this-forum/td-p/2333989

Cheers

Pawsden

Thanks for this, I appreciate your help. But what a shame that a new smart TV bought only 2 years ago when all this technology was already available, requires yet another set top box. Might as well have kept our old non digital TV if we had to get another set top box to watch these channels. Thanks for showing me the worksaround, but this is the last time we get a Sony TV. I would consider Sony rather an environmentally unfriendly company I'm afraid as you have to buy additional kit or throw thje old one away when it's still new. Our last TVs have lasted over 15 years each (and the first one was already second hand), and the last one we decided to let go whilst it was still working for the benefits of a Smart TV. You have been very helpful, unlike the Sony help desk that appears to give automated replies and not read what I have actually arleady done. I hope Sony pays you for this :-). Thanks again. 

profile.country.GB.title
dawarry
Explorer

I have just bought a kdl 49wd753,I didnt want You view as Freeview play is good enough but can sony update the apps so  we can have   itv player, all4, and demand 5 in a firmware update, BBC iplayer runs fine,Sony android has it why not Sony Smart?

profile.country.GB.title
dawarry
Explorer

I doubt wether they changed it after a mini moan from me but thanks where thanks is due

Thank you Sony for adding the ITV HUB to the KDL WE range of Smart tvs,I knew you could do it:grin: I told you it was possible:smiling:,now just add ALL 4 and we have the complete set on Smart Tvs and I will be happy for ever more............

profile.country.GB.title
dawarry
Explorer

Wow!!, Sony strikes again,another update, another app,two in fact ALL4 and STV.I have the full set of apps that really should come with every Sony SmartTV in the UK,This balances the sony smart tv with the sony android tv yes you can tailor your own setup with android and go the dodgy path with Kodi but if your buying a Sony your a quality tech minded person .

Thank you Sony!

profile.country.GB.title
stanrobson
Explorer

Is it possible to get itv hub on this tv, or does it require an additional set top box