Join now - be part of our community!

A317S - Optical Drive Not recoginsed

heelheadover
Visitor

A317S - Optical Drive Not recoginsed

I have a new A317S where the optical drive which came as standard is not recognised by the computer. Can anybody help?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Welcome to the forum healheadover.
Has the optical driver ever been recognised or is this something new?
As a first try, in device manager delete the drive, reboot and let Windows discover and install.
If that doesn¿t resolve the issue then let us have a bit more info, ie any recently installed programmes or software.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

As it's brand new I would take it to the store where you got it from.
If it's a drive in a bay just push it a bit to see if the contacts are touching

Eugenepang
Visitor

As it's brand new I would take it to the store where you got it from.
If it's a drive in a bay just push it a bit to see if the contacts are touching

the DVD-dual layer is built-in so it should be working.. and since you said its new.. it should be working 100% or else change the whole laptop.

mvanwambeke
Visitor

check on www.vaio-link.com for firmware update.
It's a long shot , but it might do the trick

so12
Visitor

I have a brand new 4 days old A217S and the DVD drive just stop working. It spin up but does not read disk. It doesn't even read the recovery disk on start up. So I think it is a hardware issue. I can't believe this happen on a new computer.

I bought it from Sony Style and do you guys think I can get a replacement or just a warranty repair ?

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

LOL, bring it back where you have bought it and take a replacement laptop.

so12
Visitor

Bought it online from Sonystyle. I guess I have to wait till Tuesday and call Vaio Support and ask for a replacement.

Took me 3 days just to set up the computer to the way I like it and the then the dvd drive fail. Sony reliability sucks.