Join now - be part of our community!

about the update and mp3 playback

lordviper
Visitor

about the update and mp3 playback

as i said before this product, the ap1, will never play raw mp3's (like the ipod).

it is a major drawback i know, but today i received confirmation that the mp3 capabilaties the update speaks of will mean that drm is added to the tracks as they are transferred over to the ap1l. making them just as encrypted as atrac files.
i beleive sony have covered themselves by the phrasing they use in the update announcement.

therefore, i think i may continue to use atrac files as it offers better compression, but this will all depend on how good ss 2.3 is.
as for the other updates, im not too sure but the gapless playback and faster scrolling are necessary and will bring the unit close to perfection, all that i feel is really needed then will be better support for viewing pictures, rather than having to create loads of USER folders.

but lets see what else the update brings.........:smileywink:

50 REPLIES 50
Automan
Visitor

as i said before this product, the ap1, will never play raw mp3's (like the ipod).

But the Sony press release says

MP3 playback feature which will allow MP3 transfer and playback without transfer to ATRAC

Automan.

lordviper
Visitor

i know, and i met with our sony product trainer who has confirmed it will be drm added during the transfer, which will take about a second longer than usual.
of course we will have to wait and see if im wrong, but just think about it, sony (who own music and movie companies) have been heavily implementing atrac (DRM) for nearly a decade suddenly do a drastic 180 leaving themselves open for pirate abuse?
as i say i may well be wrong, but i doubt it.

chris_lewis
Visitor

Well El Reg doesn't tend to be wrong!!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/11/30/sony_nw-hd3_mp3_player/

Anyway I dont get the beef with DRM, Music isn't made for free.

People are free to choose which format they use. If they want to use a crappy sounding, outdated format then let them carry on.

If you continue to buy CDs it aint a problem (other than DRM CDs which you cant rip) now that gets my goat!!!
hopefully that will stop soon.

Sony has now proved it cuts the mustard with HD players, and as with all Sony stuff it's top quality and that also runs into software. I love my HD1 and SS as you may have guessed.

There are always sacrifices to be made for quality, DRM is just one of them.

C

nemo66
Visitor

----wrong----

j-66:smileywink:

chris_lewis
Visitor

Very helpful reply!!

What do you disagree with?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Chris El Reg have been known to streatch the truth alledgely.

chris_lewis
Visitor

True, all in the art of jounalism!! lol

Still, I find it v unlikley that Sony would do this without covering there arses.

To me there is no doubt DRM will be in it somewhere.

C

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hehe you're right Chris, you can bet there'll be DRM, it's Sony after all :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

chris_lewis
Visitor

As I said B4, Quality always comes with some sacrifices.

Atrac is a great sounding format, yes it has drm but I couldnt give a flying F***

Sony for life!!!