Join now - be part of our community!

ActiveX Control Error. HELP!

Jassi
Visitor

ActiveX Control Error. HELP!

Hi all, i'v got a vgc-v2m and yesterday i had a trojen virus on my pc, cleared it all up as norton picked it up, but noticed today that every time i reboot my pc i get an error on the start up saying:

CAUTION
you are attempting to open a file of type 'ActiveX Control' (.OCX)

and at the bottom of the dialog box it says OPEN WITH

i get this message 2 times. and have to click cancel on both to get on with what i'm doing.

Does anybody have a clue. I'v tried a registry scan nothing seems to be picked up.

Thanks in advance
Regards
Jassi

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Any idea what trojan horse it was?

Try trojanremover too, it's a very good program.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Jassi,

Have you checked to see if the trogan files are listed in the Start-up section of the system configuration utility...

Type msconfig into run.. :wink:

Jassi
Visitor

the error disapears when i remove sysinfo.ocx from the start up? any ideas what this file is and if its important. Theres also another file that is on the start up called: mswinsck.ocx :s

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Jassi,

What are the location of these files as both of these files could be spyware, if you not do so already download and run either Spybot search and destroy or Ad-Aware both of which are free.. :slight_smile:

Jassi
Visitor

hi mate i have ran adaware but seems to not remove the problem, these files are both located in C:\Documents and Settings\Jassi\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

they seem to be both created yesterday. around the same time i had the virus.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Jassi,

Is that a shortcut in the C:\Documents and Settings\Jassi\Start Menu\Programs\Startup.. :thinking:

If so are there any other files in the shortcuts target location folder.

Jassi
Visitor

nope thats were the actual files are there are no shortcuts. i feel like deleting them.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Sounds safe enough to me... :slight_smile:

Once deleted I would do a full AV and spyware scan just for good measure.. :wink:

Jassi
Visitor

yup removed the files and pc is working fine, cheers for the advise and help thanks.