Join now - be part of our community!

Adding a Blu-ray drive

fothsn
Visitor

Adding a Blu-ray drive

Hi got a brand new Sony Viao VGN-FZ21E which is a stunning however I feel I’ve made the wrong decision as the other model which isn’t more than this has a Blu-ray drive, the question is could I add a Blu-ray drive to my Laptop somehow? The Specs of the laptops are the same just mine is minus a Blu-ray Drive.

Any help would be much appreciated :grin:

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi fothsn and welcome to Club Vaio.

It is still early days for Blu-Ray drives and there are not many available for notebooks.

A Player only will cost about £180 - LIKE THIS ONE - a BD recorder will cost a LOT more if you can find one.

Sony will not upgrade your Vaio so you would have to have it installed by a third party and this would invalidate your Warranty.

It is not really economically reasonable to upgrade the drive yet. I would wait for a year until the guarantee expires or buy an external BD Drive - LIKE THIS ONE

I would save your money and wait for a serious price reduction which will happen fairly quickly.

:wink:

fothsn
Visitor

Hi Blencogo, thanks for the info the drive you mentioned looks ideal but what you mention about invalidating my warranty is a big one and a risk I don’t think I could take :cry: Looks like I will have to buy a standalone player, just would be nice to incorporate one in my Vaio :grin:

Once again thanks for the speedy reply :slight_smile:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You could get one of those nifty enclosures with an IDE writer for around £225, but it's not 100% sure to work (can't give that assurance as I've not done it myself)