Join now - be part of our community!

Adobe Acrobat Elements

PaulRaper
Visitor

Adobe Acrobat Elements

I can no longer create PDFs with this utility as it comes up with the error Unable to find PDF resourse files.

When I ask it to self repair it requires some installer files which don't seem to exist on the laptop, and since Sony hasn't supplied the machine with a complete set of the application files I'm now faced with asking, how do I repair this problem?

Any Ideas?

Paul
:cry:

15 REPLIES 15
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

You could try reinstalling the application from the recovery disks or the recovery partition.

If you have recovery disks then insert the disk while windows is running and you should be given the option of performing an application recovery.

PaulRaper
Visitor

Is that on the CD Rom that came with the PC?

Paul
:cool:

robpaxton
Explorer

It should be there. If it isn't on the applications list then it may be one of the programs that need a full recovery :slight_frown:

kee-lo_

I remember someone else having this issue, they had to do a full restore :devil:

PaulRaper
Visitor

It is looking very much as that is the case. I have tried to remove it; the system returns an error to the effect that it can not find the path C:\remove\ADOBE~\ and aborts. I have tried to reinstall but that seems to achieve nothing.

It seems a rather pointless thing to supply software which can not be reinstalled.

No matter, I shall probably invest in Acrobat 7 when it's launched, but it is something of a pain in the proverbial butt.

One thing I find totally irratating is that everytime Sony issue a new BIOS flash, I have to reinstall the hot keys manager.

Can someone suggest to Sony that they issue a routine that does this for you. A second irritation on this point is that I always have to reinstall twice. The process never works on the first re-installation.

Paul
:devil:

kee-lo_

Acrobat 7 is good if you do a LOT of PDF work, but if you don't do loads then consider buying Acrobat Elements, it's a lot more reasonable price

PaulRaper
Visitor

That is precisly my purpose. I used Acrobat 4 until I metaphorically wore it out.

I was pleased with 6 Elements, but disappointed when it stopped working on this machine.

I am even more iratated that I do not seem able to either de-install it nor re-install it.

It seems the way of OEM software. We the customers are being driven by the suppliers to accept second and sometimes third rate service and products. Pre-installed software is offered as a bait to buy a particular product. The question is; are you in reality getting that package? That being said, we are now entering the period when:
1. Our cupboards are filling up with old software packages that won't any longer work on state of the art OSs.
2. Products offered for download over the internet that if you have a system crash, you have little hope of reinstalling unless you re-purchase it.

There must be a middle way, and one would assume that it ultimately has to be a collaberation between supplier of the different products to agree to support these packages in a way that allows the customer of whatever machine it comes pre-installed on with the possibility to download a repair routine or re-installation routine over the net.

Paul

kee-lo_

Acrobat has two flavours Standard and Professional - not sure why they need two to be honest!

PaulRaper
Visitor

It's usually a way of making more money. It also satisfies the Pros by giving them the feeling they are getting something the ordinary man in the street doesn't.

I personally like the idea of the stripped down version. I wish Microsoft would do it. An elements of Excel would be good. I don't need something that can calculate the standard regression of a whatever. A spreedsheet that is easy to use, has only the most basic functions would be fine and save a lot of time.

Paul
http://www.raper-zullig.com