Join now - be part of our community!

Another vista upgrade problem vgn-sz3xwp/c

chippers
Visitor

Another vista upgrade problem vgn-sz3xwp/c

Hi all, I dont know much about computers. I just got a sony vgn-sz3xwp/c with windows xp professional edition. The assistant sold me a Windows vista home premium update to go with it. When I tried to install it, it said I couldnt use the upgrade function but had to do a clean installation. Can I clean install the upgrade then install all the programs that are currently with XP professional edition or do I have to get the vista business upgrade, which it says will work.

Thanks for any assistance

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Chippers,

Welcome to Club vaio,

As you live in Switzerland, I would have expected the retailer to have mention that if you bought a new Vaio between 26 October 2006 and 15 March 2007 that you could claim a free Vista express update.. :thinking:

See here..

rgoggy
Visitor

did you start the vista installation wihtin windows xp? if not try this.

because upgrade ist only aviable when you start the setup in windows running

chippers
Visitor

Thanks for te replys. Thalamus I brought the laptop at Londons heathrow airport. He didnt mention anything about free upgrade. Thanks for the site will try and get a free upgrade there. Paid 130 pounds so keen to get it working not throw it in the bin. rgoggy I tried that but when I get to the option of upgrade or clean install it says upgrade has been disabled and I cannot upgrade from windows xp pro to windows vista home premium. I can upgrade to vista business,enterprise and ultimate.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

The assistant sold me a Windows vista home premium update

I don't think you can upgrade from XP pro to Vista Home premium, as far as I am aware you can only upgrade to the same or better version.. :slight_frown:

Hopefully you can claim the free Vista Express Upgrade.. :slight_smile: