Join now - be part of our community!

Appauling Treatment of Customers - Windows 10

profile.country.en_GB.title
iagibso49

Appauling Treatment of Customers - Windows 10

So it is going to take months before Sony can give the go ahead for people to upgrade to Windows 10. Why?

• Sony have had access to Windows 10 for months
  • Testing and conversion of drivers could easily have started much earlier than this
  • Other manufacturers' PCs don't have these delay issues
  • What does it say about the unecessary complication of Sony's software that their products are not ready for Windows 10 whereas others' products are

This seems indicative to me of Sony's over-engineered products and software. And I'm sure that this transfers across to other Sony products too.

The reason Sony are out of the PC market is because they offered an over-priced, ever-decreasing quality of product combined with appauling customer service.

Does this inspire faith in other Sony products? No

A name, once synonomous with quality and top-end design, has resulted in over-priced, under-tested, shoddilly produced market-stall tat.

7 REPLIES 7
quentiocimo

perhaps the people responsible for the upgrade are in the wrong job and it's too difficult for them. i'm certain an average 14 yr old would have it sorted by now.

Koggala
Explorer

I too think that Sony's action (or rather lack of action ) re Windows 10 upgrade is disgraceful - clearly it appears to have very little priority as far as they are concerned. They promise to produce something sometime for Windows 8.0 & 8.1 users but what annoys me , as a Windows 7 user, is that they just say that it is unlikely that they will produce drivers etc to enable us to switch to Windows 10. So Microsoft offer the free upgrade to all Windows 7 users but Sony just won't enable it to apply to people who were unfortunate enough to buy a Sony computer with Windows 7. When Sony sold VAIO they undertook to provide a continuing service - what a farce!
boothstuart5
Explorer

Its probably the Accountants again - The Servers can't handle it, but we can't afford to buy more - !!!

seylectric

How do you know Sony have had access to Windows 10 for months? You can tell it's still a work in progress, the bundled Edge browser doesn't even have the option to put a print button on your screen as far as I can see. Even just a month before release Microsoft admitted they were still "finalising" it so how can Sony be expected to have the up to date information months in advance?

How do you know testing etc. could have started much earlier? See above.

How do you know other manufacturers don't have these issues? I can assure you that if you check you will find that many do.

In my opinion Sony's products are not "over-engineered" but built to be better than most other manufaturers on the market. That's why I buy them and I have enjoyed many years of quality TV, music and computing as a result.

As for this transferring to other products too", again you are simply jumping to conclusions, or simply taking a wild guess. Same with your comments about why Sony are out of the market, which sadly is now actually filled with more cheap shoddily produced market-stall tat than ever before.

In my 30+ successful years in selling technology products I can assure you that most people want the cheapest, something for nothing. They want to spend £50 on a mobile phone and expect iPhone like performance. They want to spend nothing and get a top quality product. That's why scammers selling fake iphones are making millions - people will take a chance to save money rather than spending on genuine quality. I don't blame Sony for getting out but it is now far more difficult to find a top quality high end laptop or ultrabook as a result.

As for your "appalling treatment", you should remember that you did not buy your Sony laptop with a guarantee that it would be upgradeable all future operating systems and Sony have no obligation to do anything, especially as they are not even in the market any more. They are spending millions to ensure your equipment is entitled to the completely free upgrade you will get to Windows 10 when they could have simply walked away and done nothing. They are taking the time to get it right, and all that, for me, is excellent customer service. Continuing support for products means that if you need a repeair in future they will be able to sort it. Stop crying because you want something for nothing and you want it now, but can't have it. You sound like a whinging spoilt child.

profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

I do understand the frustration some members are feeling about Windows 10, but

please be assured that Sony are working on it.

Members can of course just bang Windows 10 on anyway and keep their fingers crossed if they are genuinely desperate to try the new OS but I would not advise this at all (especially if the manufacturer doesn't!)

There are always problems with every manufacturer after a new OS release.

The latest info we have from the support page Here is:

"We are currently testing the performance of Sony products with Windows 10 and will be releasing compatibility information gradually. Visit this page regularly for updates!"

All members should refer to that page for any Windows 10 updates and for support for their particular model.

I now have it on an Advent desktop and had several problems after install.

(The best one is it won't let me downgrade again lol)

I have had no info or support for Windows 10 at all from Advent.

Marcel_K
New

Well, there we go! Sony has done their "work" and come up with a comptibility table. In my case, just one red square saying "Critical Blue Screen errors occur". Furthermore, they are saying "As announced previously, Sony does not currently plan to provide Windows 10 dedicated drivers for your VAIO computer.". This means as much as no Windows 10 for everyone with hybrid Intel/AMD graphics. Even though only one single driver would need fixing...

Even though Sony doesn't own Vaio anymore, this will be a lesson for me. No more Sony or Vaio products for me.

Bellamax2
New

I have always liked my Vaio with windows 7, until now that I find I will soon be left out in the cold.  My old Sony TV is also due for replacement.  So I will vote with my feet and switch to an iMac (bye bye Sony and Microsoft) and go for a non-Sony TV.