Join now - be part of our community!

Awful screen colours!

profile.country.en_GB.title
julgardn
New

Awful screen colours!

Hi all

I've just purchased my second Vaio and now I'm starting to wish I hadn't bothered!

My fist vaio was an VGN AR51m and it was excellent. the best thing about it was the screen. The colours were so vibrant and clear. Unfortunately my son manhandled it one day and broke the brackets on the lid.

Friday I went out and purchased a vaio VPCEC4S0E, and I'm just so disappointed. The on screen colours are awful. They just seem very pale in comparrison to my old vaio. Its a very clear and crisp screen, but the colours really are awful!

Is there any software or drivers that I could download which may remedy this problem? I have tried using the colour calibration in the windows menu, but still can't get it like my old one!

I just feel so disappointed!

Thanks in advance for any replies or ideas.

7 REPLIES 7
julgardn
New

No ideas then anyone? :slight_frown:

julgardn
New

ok, heres an update just in case anyone else is having the same problem.

Nvidea did the  graphics card for my old laptop.

ATI do this one, so Ive been told there is no comparison to make!!!

Quite sad actually, I thought it may be something I could fix! All I can say is of youve had an old vaio with a NVidea graphics card, and youre thinking of getting a new vaio with an ATI card.....

Think long and hard, there is a huge difference. And its not for the best!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I bet your AR51M cost a lot more!!

There is commercial screen calibration software/hardware available but I am not sure how effective it is.  It is also costly for a good one - have a look at Spyder 3: -

http://www.fotosense.co.uk/datacolor-spyder3pro-monitor-calibration-kit.html?of_tid=0C-mxlLpH-bVjmcm...

You can get the hinges of your AR fixed - I think they are about £45 each.

It seems a pity you can't get the screen as you want it.

:slight_frown:

samson68
Visitor

Is your Viao in warrenty?

I had a compleat breakdown of mine, I raised the point that the reds were in fact more like deep orange, I was comparing it too my old samsung which hada great screen.

Not only did they replace the MB and hard drive which had gone, main reason to have it repaired, but also a new screen.

The reds are far better

aslo if you go into the contral panel fo your graphic card you can play around, but I would suggest that you look at the screen

Can't say that Sony have pushed the boat out, as tehy seem to have saved here for other componates, so it's never going to be amazing

julgardn
New

Hi, my AR51 did cost a lot more. The point is though even though this one was not as expensive, it was still expensive enough to warrant decent screen colours!

I have been thinking of replacing the hinges on my old one, or even buying a second hand one and just dropping my hard drive in.

I have just purchased the extended warranty on this new one, so at the first sign of something going wrong I shall also drop it in about the screen quality as well , although from the email I recieved fron Sony yesterday, basically 'its tough'

The email stated:

I see that you had compared your current VAIO to the old one the AR51, therefore I
would like to clarify that this will be invalid comparison due to different
design and components.

We used Nvidia graphic chip in the AR51 and in the VPCEC we now use ATI, these

are two different chips from two different companies and each one do produce
colors depending on its architecture, therefore the experience will be
different.

So in others words, it's my problem, not theirs!

julgardn
New

Just as a matter of interest.

Would I be able to take the graphics card from my AR51 and put it in my new laptop?

If I could, then that would be problem solved :slight_smile:

dolphindeb
Visitor

hi

I have the vaio VPCEB1SOE i have also noticed the poor colour on my laptop, i had a toshiba one prevous to this one, which was alot cheaper than my vaio but the picture quility was alot better, i wish i would have stuck with toshiba now