Join now - be part of our community!

How to extend main memory on a PCG-GRV516G Laptop beyond 512 MB?

battleship
Visitor

How to extend main memory on a PCG-GRV516G Laptop beyond 512 MB?

I have a Vaio PCG-GRV516G Laptop with 2 x 256 MB memory DDR266 (PC2100) SO-DIMMs in the two memory slots from the early beginning. I found out that it is possible to use one 512 MB SO-DIMM instead but not two of them because the system obviously has a limit of 512 MB in total. I would like to use a second memory module in the second slot because 512 MB today is a bad restriction for a WinXP system and 1024 MB would provide much better performance. How to get the system to accept memory beyond 512 MB, with a new BIOS??

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi battleship and welcome.

I think you are going to be out of luck - everywhere I have looked states that the maximum memory that this Vaio can use is 512MB.

Try the System Scanner here at CRUCIAL.COM but I think you will find that the system just cannot use more than 512MB. The Memory Controller on the motherboard chipset is not capable of using any more.

:slight_frown:

battleship
Visitor

Thank you very much, indeed, for your effort though the message is not a good! one.

profile.country.fr_FR.title
gillesvollant
Visitor

I'm surprised, because somes other notebook with intel 845 chipset accept 1024 MB

Are you sure this is not a Bios limitation?