Join now - be part of our community!

Battery not being recognised

WDUK
Visitor

Battery not being recognised

Hiya
I have a Sony VAIO VGN-A117S notebook. Now I don't know how it has occured but all of a sudden Windows is not recognising the battery (saying there is no battery present, when there is one),
I have to have the laptop plugged in for it to work. I have took out the battery and inspected it and there doesn't seem to be a problem with it.
When I take out the battery when it is not plugged in, the notebook turns off.
What should I do, because I admit I'm not a notebook expert ...

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

It sounds like your battery is dead.

How long have you had it?

Batteries have a limited warranty by Sony, but should last for about three years for Li-Ion (lithium ion).

WDUK
Visitor

Around 7-8 months I think

mvanwambeke
Visitor

So your computer does actually work on the battery, it just not recognized as battery in the laptop?

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Lol Wait a minute, "when the notebook is disconnected from the mains, and the battery is removed, the notbook turns off"

Lol not surprising because the notebook has no source of power.

If the notebook is disconnected from the mains, and a fully charged battery is inserted, the notebook should start from the battery, if it doesn't then the battery in this case is at fault.

If it is not recognised as a battery in the laptop, it could indicate a fault with the battery bay.

TygerTyger
Visitor

I have to have the laptop plugged in for it to work. I have took out the battery and inspected it and there doesn't seem to be a problem with it.
What should I do, because I admit I'm not a notebook expert ...

I don't quite follow........the laptop would obviously turn off when you take the battery out, just like any other battery appliance. But from that it sounds like it's working when the battery is in? So in what sense is it not recognised, do you mean that the battery icon is not showing up in the taskbar (Set of icons next to the clock, bottom right of the screen)?

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

Yeah, lol I'm confused too. Would the original poster care to clear things up for us?

WDUK
Visitor

Ok sorry for the confusion, let me start again...

When the battery is connected to the laptop, it is not being recognised, it is acting like the battery does not exist.
When there is no battery in the laptop, windows says the laptop is "On AC power" (obviously), but when the battery IS connected to the laptop it still says "On AC power" (It still says a battery is not present, even though it is connected).
And what I also ment before was that even though the battery was still connected to the laptop, when I disconnected it from AC power, the computer turned off. (Acting as if there was no battery there at all)

Hopefully that's cleared stuff up...

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

There are two reasons this can happen

1) a broken part in the VAIO's battery bay
2) the battery is dead / damaged.

WDUK
Visitor

On inspection of the battery, there is the litteist dent on it, but how that could have happened all of a sudden is a mystery to me...
And I hope it ain't a damaged battery bay, again how could have this happened?
I have got to say I leave my laptop on 24/7, could that be a reason for anything?