Join now - be part of our community!

Memory Upgrade on A217M

wheresmybeaver
Visitor

Memory Upgrade on A217M

Hey lads

I was thinking about getting another 512mb module for my A217M (it comes with 512mb already installed), but I checked the specs for my model on Vaio support and it turns out that the langers put two 256mb modules in there instead of a single 512mb module, so there is no free space for another module! Those cheap bastards!

I suppose I could take out one of the 256mb modules and replace it with a 512mb one, bringing my memory up to 768mb.. but still.. waste of 256mb...

What are my options here, like are there any trade forums where I could sell the old 256mb modules so I could get two 512mb modules? (or even a single 1032mb module if one exists; the Vaio support site says my laptop can support up to 2GB memory.)

Oh yeah, the SonyStyle online store for my country (Ireland) quotes a 512mb module for EUR 269 .... Yeah right.... About 80 dollars (~60 EUR) on some websites I've looked at...

Thanks

ps. I updated the firmware for my DWD56A DVD drive on Vaio Link, everythings working grand but I'm not sure what difference the upgrade made. Glad it didn't <profanity removed by moderator> up tho..

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

ps. I updated the firmware for my DWD56A DVD drive on Vaio Link, everythings working grand but I'm not sure what difference the upgrade made. Glad it didn't <profanity removed by moderator> up tho..

If you click the download button then it opens a Window.
There are small, black letters one a white ground. Try to read them.

I don't know whether your VAIO supports Dual RAM. Older VAIO doesn't support this. There is no problem to mix the RAM with different sizes. But you could do that not if you want use the Dual RAM feature.

There are also a lot threads about RAM upgrates. Please use the search feature of ClubVAIO before you write a post.

Thanks.:smileywink:

seb21__
Visitor

Awwwe, I don't like the search engine of ClubVAIO.

try http://www.crucial.com

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Awwwe, I don't like the search engine of ClubVAIO.

It is bad enough if you are just trying to find an old thread. To find any useful information is impossible. Plus it usually denies access until you have entered your user name and password twice:smileyconfused: :slight_frown:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
seb21__
Visitor

Yes, you are right Rich.:smileysad:

Like HITS-UK said, we need a FAQ

click me

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah we'll have to start a memory FAQ somewhere when we get all the facts and figures together.

seb21__
Visitor

LOL, what do you think about ClubJAMES.:smileywink: But I don't whether James wants that.

And a FAQ in ClubVAIO would be better. (I think)

added:

LOL, what do you think about ClubJAMES

LOL, forget it. I think not that's a good idea.

wheresmybeaver
Visitor

If you click the download button then it opens a Window.
There are small, black letters one a white ground. Try to read them.

Oh, haha, I see what you did there, oh yes thats very funny, letters on a background! Haha. Sarcasm is it? Not very helpful.

Yes, I did check all the documentation that came with the download (and on the vaio-link page), but all it tells you is HOW to apply the upgrade (selective startup, disable antivirus etc) but not what it actually does. I was referring to the fact that some users have applied the upgrade to disastrous consequence, thus I was merely wondering what were the benefits of applying the firmware upgrade. Apart from a name change from PSF1 or whatever to PSF2.

Anyway, yeah I had a look around the forums for info on upgrading my Vaio's memory, but nothing was being found at a very slow rate, as has been mentioned. I don't think my VAIOs memory slots are dual channel, its not mentioned anywhere in the documentation which leads to me believe that its not a feature.

I just spotted a 1GB memory module on Froogle that specifically says it'll work with an A217M. Could be a possibility.

Cheers, anyone that helped

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

LOL, what do you think about ClubJAMES.:smileywink: But I don't whether James wants that.

We'll see what James says

seb21__
Visitor

Oh, haha, I see what you did there, oh yes thats very funny, letters on a background! Haha. Sarcasm is it? Not very helpful. 

Hehe

LOL, you are right there. There is no information about the update. That's a little bit strange. Maybe the e-support could give you an anwer.:smileyconfused:

I don't think my VAIOs memory slots are dual channel, its not mentioned anywhere in the documentation which leads to me believe that its not a feature.

I think the same. But for example the A317M use DDR2 instead of DDR. And all DDR2 Mainboards which I have seen supports Dual Channel.

But I think it isn't really useful to upgrade the RAM to 2GB. Unless, if you work with a lot graphic programs at the same time. But 1GB is OK. And the price for a 1GB RAM single module is too high. (my opinion)

And yes, the search feature here on ClubVAIO isn't really helpful. It's nearly impossebil to find a old thread.:smileybeat_up:

http://www.crucial.com (BTW, try this link.)