Join now - be part of our community!

Clicking harddisk sound VGN-FE21S sequel

Engys
Visitor

Clicking harddisk sound VGN-FE21S sequel

Hi everybody, I read the FE11S thread about clicking harddrive sound. Greetings to the Greek people! I purchase a VGN-FE21S in Berlin Sony Center and the harddrive also clicks like hell. I gave it back to the service to repaire this harddrive problem. They build in a new harddrive, but it still have this clicking sound. One of the main reasons to purchase a Sony VGN-FE21S was that I could not hear any noise. Now I ask myself where is the differnce between the models they show up in Sony Style Stores and that ones they sell to the customers? They show up a noiseless rocket and gave me a machine that clicks every 5 seconds. In my opinion it should be a report for the German c't and I am sure they will find the problem.

Sincerely ... Engys

12 REPLIES 12
out-of-space
Visitor

thanks for your help. unfortunately i don't have the time to figure out if it will work, as tomorrow my "2-weeks return back the product"-time will be over. so i better give it back before it's too late for me and i will be one of the unhappy vaio owners with the clicking problem. and to be honest it didn't sound to me like some energy saving function. so i will buy a dell computer now (still sad about giving away the vaio as it looked so good and i really liked the keyboard) and hope to make the right choice.
cheers
oos

pmitev
Visitor

Can't blame you for the choice... this is the right thing to do.

For the rest, that are stuck with theirs clicking disks, make yourself a favor - boot any kind of LiveCD or even boot in DOS and confirm that you still have the clicking problem. The bottom line of what I am saying is that it is a Windows problem not HDD FAILURE. Replacing the HDD will not solve the problem in general.

In my HDD manual the vendor says that they guarantee 300000 load/unloads of the head!!! probably nothing will happen after 1000000 clicks but within a week time I have made about 50000 clicks... In the lab here we have one of this constantly clicking (NOT VAIO) notebooks still running somehow...

And final: I still think it is still up to VAIO Customer Support to find solution for the problem.
Don't you think so?

out-of-space
Visitor

hi,

yes, as that problem appears mainly within vaio notebooks with that type of fujitsu harddisk they should take care of that, if it's a windows problem or not. disappointed by the lack of reaction.

(p.s.: it's difficult to check if it clicks while running dos, because the clicking appears not so frequently - sometimes everyday, sometimes it's gone for 1 week. so you would need to run your computer with dos only for some days. waste of time for me, that should be tried by the producer).

anyway, i wrote an email to the german c't magazine and told them to check out this forum and to try to find a solution to force sony to solve the problem. when they'll send any answer, i'll post it here. if not, i will probably not post on this forum again, as i am a dell user from now on.

cheers

o-o-s