Join now - be part of our community!

Clicking Sound From FE11S? what is it?

Spinstorm
Visitor

Clicking Sound From FE11S? what is it?

Hey

I got an FE11S two days ago and this morning I heard a clicking sound that started for no apperent reason and would happen every 30 seconds roughly - it happened 5 or 6 times then I restarted the laptop (as I was trying to sleep and clicking noises are annoying in that situation!).

I has not occured since then, although before it started it had been on for about 14 hours (plugged in of course!).

I am guessing the harddrive and processor are at the front of the laptop as that is where the most heat is and where it sounds like the harddrive is when I can hear it, but this sound was coming from the back near the battery or speakers.

It may have been from the speakers themselves but it could have been from something else (although the speakers were muted on the laptop when it happened).

I phoned Sony and they said if it happens again let them know which I will so what could it be? any ideas? I hope it is just a one off dodgy PC momment as I would hate to have a serious problem on a new laptop! By the way everything is and was working perfectly there is no obvious problem with anything the PC is doing just that clicking sound which happened for a few mins before I restarted it.

65 REPLIES 65
ant1uk
Visitor

I have the same thing with my s3xp it clicks sometimes. it is very strange im not sure what causes this i think it could be the hard drive but im not sure. mine has done this for about 6 months now buy not all the time only sometimes

russ8s
Visitor

same here..... heard a clicking noise, but as it had caused no problems I ignored it.

not heard it for a few days

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

I don't have any clicking sounds....maybe it's your ear :tongue:

Kris1990
Visitor

when it click look at the harddisk light on the front and if it is flashing or solid then it is your harddisk.

i have as fs115b and it clicks and it is the hardisk

Spinstorm
Visitor

So are we saying it is a problem or not?

Is it something to be concerned with?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

So are we saying it is a problem or not?

A clicking sound on a notebook hard drive is not a problem, it is usually occurs when the drive is either working or parking the heads. This clicking, however, is very different to a ‘clunking’ or ‘grating’ sound which usually indicates that the drive is about to go belly up!

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
nunodc
Visitor

A clicking sound on a notebook hard drive is not a problem, it is usually occurs when the drive is either working or parking the heads. This clicking, however, is very different to a ‘clunking’ or ‘grating’ sound which usually indicates that the drive is about to go belly up!

Very true.. on my previous laptop I started hearing clicking sounds, and had no clue on what they were.. they would disappear when I restarted or shut down the computer for a while, but would later reappear.. eventually they started intensifying, then blocking the access to the hard drive... eventually the hard drive died, and I had to replace it.. it happens to a lot of people, but it usually takes a few years for it to happen.. backup any important files, just in case, and see how it develops.. it would be weird for a hard drive to die, considering you've just bought it, but you never know..

russ8s
Visitor

Mine has stated doing it properly just tonight, very annoying and if continues not stopping ....... thats it the FE11S is going back to sony for full refund, to say i'm no impressed is an understatement. Though I did have a Z1 previous(now on ebay) maybe i'll have to get it back.

nunodc
Visitor

I am just saying what happened to me, after 2 years of having it... the "funny" thing was that dell did not recognise the problem, and was giving me the "it's normal for hard drives to make noises" crap... if you google similar things, you'll see that other people complain from the same noises not being recognised, so I don't know how Sony deals with it...

All that I can tell you is that my 11S HD does not make those noises... but I wouldn't be exactly pleased if it did, no...

So good luck with it!..