Join now - be part of our community!

Clicking Sound From FE11S? what is it?

Spinstorm
Visitor

Clicking Sound From FE11S? what is it?

Hey

I got an FE11S two days ago and this morning I heard a clicking sound that started for no apperent reason and would happen every 30 seconds roughly - it happened 5 or 6 times then I restarted the laptop (as I was trying to sleep and clicking noises are annoying in that situation!).

I has not occured since then, although before it started it had been on for about 14 hours (plugged in of course!).

I am guessing the harddrive and processor are at the front of the laptop as that is where the most heat is and where it sounds like the harddrive is when I can hear it, but this sound was coming from the back near the battery or speakers.

It may have been from the speakers themselves but it could have been from something else (although the speakers were muted on the laptop when it happened).

I phoned Sony and they said if it happens again let them know which I will so what could it be? any ideas? I hope it is just a one off dodgy PC momment as I would hate to have a serious problem on a new laptop! By the way everything is and was working perfectly there is no obvious problem with anything the PC is doing just that clicking sound which happened for a few mins before I restarted it.

65 REPLIES 65
TheLaird
Visitor

Mine has stated doing it properly just tonight, very annoying and if continues not stopping ....... thats it the FE11S is going back to sony for full refund, to say i'm no impressed is an understatement. Though I did have a Z1 previous(now on ebay) maybe i'll have to get it back.

:slight_frown: Yes, my new FE11S is doing exactly the same thing - the frequency of the clicking is somewhat variable, and ranges from every couple of seconds to every ten seconds. The hard drive light flashes at the same time as the clicks. Can this be rectified? It is quite annoying.....

nunodc
Visitor

When it happened to my Dell, I talked to a friend who then said I should low-level format my drive.. I did so, and it did stop... for a few days, at least...
It also seemed like the less I used the laptop, the less clicking sounds it would make..

Maybe contact Sony, and say it's been happening for a while, and that there is nothing you could have done in order for that to happen?.. it may "just" be a faulty drive...

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

They don't really recomend low-level formatting anymore.

Wolf7
Visitor

Hello,
I got a fe11s and I also have this problem 😞

I've read here ( http://www.myplc.com/sony/faq.htm -> go to question #25 ) something similar, but for different vaio model.

There's no firmware upgrade for our hard drive?

Thanks and sorry for my bad english :slight_smile:
Marco

profile.country.es_ES.title
rosoria67
Visitor

I had the same problem that all of you, and took the drive out , then I plugged it firmly again and the problem was solved (at the moment).
Excuse me for my english.
Best regards

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Well funny thing is I also have the problem. It happens when I leave my laptop working for a long time. And people don't tell us that the hard disk is a working sound. I have had 4 laptops, I certainly know the difference between a hard disk that is working or making a strange sound. This sound is unique, and disturbing.

I think there is something seriously wrong. I'm going to call Sony, don't think they will give me any solution (like always)....but who know I have nothing to lose.

What happens:
The hard disk makes irregularly a clicking sound which is pretty loud two. Most certainly is not a working sound. It sounds like something is hitting the plastic of the laptop or something else. When I shut down my laptop and restart the sound is gone.

carthorian
Visitor

Common sympton, it's the reading arm af Hard Disk. Just open up the notebook and move it a little bit, so it won't 'click' anymore.

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Common sympton, it's the reading arm af Hard Disk. Just open up the notebook and move it a little bit, so it won't 'click' anymore.

Reading ARM of harddisk????? What is that???. Since when do we need to open up a brand new notebook and move the harddisk a little bit to let it stop making a clicking sound?

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

That's a little crazy that Sony didn't seat the hard disk correctly in the bay!

NEVER open a hard disk! You'll ruin it

carthorian
Visitor

Feel free to send it back under warranty if you don't feel up to it.