Join now - be part of our community!

Clicking Sound From FE11S? what is it?

Spinstorm
Visitor

Clicking Sound From FE11S? what is it?

Hey

I got an FE11S two days ago and this morning I heard a clicking sound that started for no apperent reason and would happen every 30 seconds roughly - it happened 5 or 6 times then I restarted the laptop (as I was trying to sleep and clicking noises are annoying in that situation!).

I has not occured since then, although before it started it had been on for about 14 hours (plugged in of course!).

I am guessing the harddrive and processor are at the front of the laptop as that is where the most heat is and where it sounds like the harddrive is when I can hear it, but this sound was coming from the back near the battery or speakers.

It may have been from the speakers themselves but it could have been from something else (although the speakers were muted on the laptop when it happened).

I phoned Sony and they said if it happens again let them know which I will so what could it be? any ideas? I hope it is just a one off dodgy PC momment as I would hate to have a serious problem on a new laptop! By the way everything is and was working perfectly there is no obvious problem with anything the PC is doing just that clicking sound which happened for a few mins before I restarted it.

65 REPLIES 65
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Probably the best solution

darox
Visitor

I have the same click-sound with my FE11M. I think it's the harddisk, but if it clicks, the light of it does not light up.

The HD is a FUJITSU MHV2100BH. Let us the harddisk compare!

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

You and everybody else. Probably sony placed all the harddisk at the wrong place. According to other people the reading arm hits somthing....

Send the laptop for repair.....hmmmmm wich means I wont have a laptop for weeks....looking at the help they give online I bet they are just as slow as fixing something

mark.magill
Visitor

This is the response I have received from Fujitsu regarding the issue:

We connected this drive MHV2160BT to our analyser and installed Windows XP Pro, we did not hear any obvious clicking noise unless you place your ear next to the drive so it is very quiet even though this does go into sleep mode at around every 4-10 seconds (idle). I would investigate if you can further into the specifications and configurations fitting of your Sony Laptop.

Regards,

kee-lo_

Carelino's probably right that it's badly seated, or it's in a hollow area to make the noise louder

ukpm
Visitor

What's the solution here?

I've read a lot of reviews, in particular tomshardware.com and this is by all accounts a terrible drive in terms of it's performance. The clicking it exhibits only adds insult to injury.

I don't want anything to do with this drive anymore!

I could replace it at my own cost, for say a Seagate Momentus 5400.3 (160GB).

Would Sony offer a refund for the notebook because of this? I doubt it very much.

I'm going to phone Sony and discuss the options with them.

kee-lo_

They'll probably want to change it for you, for YET another drive of the same calibre

mark.magill
Visitor

A quick question for the users who experience a tapping noise from the FE11S hard disk.

Do you have the power option to turn off the hard disk after a defined time enabled?

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

A quick question for the users who experience a tapping noise from the FE11S hard disk.

Do you have the power option to turn off the hard disk after a defined time enabled?

No :smileygrin:

Wolf7
Visitor

No