Join now - be part of our community!

Clicking Sound From FE11S? what is it?

Spinstorm
Visitor

Clicking Sound From FE11S? what is it?

Hey

I got an FE11S two days ago and this morning I heard a clicking sound that started for no apperent reason and would happen every 30 seconds roughly - it happened 5 or 6 times then I restarted the laptop (as I was trying to sleep and clicking noises are annoying in that situation!).

I has not occured since then, although before it started it had been on for about 14 hours (plugged in of course!).

I am guessing the harddrive and processor are at the front of the laptop as that is where the most heat is and where it sounds like the harddrive is when I can hear it, but this sound was coming from the back near the battery or speakers.

It may have been from the speakers themselves but it could have been from something else (although the speakers were muted on the laptop when it happened).

I phoned Sony and they said if it happens again let them know which I will so what could it be? any ideas? I hope it is just a one off dodgy PC momment as I would hate to have a serious problem on a new laptop! By the way everything is and was working perfectly there is no obvious problem with anything the PC is doing just that clicking sound which happened for a few mins before I restarted it.

65 REPLIES 65
surfcrazedscot
Visitor

***FURTHER UPDATE***

Sony finally got round to contacting me today. The guy I spoke to has actually acknowledged that there is a problem with the FE11S. He says that their engineers are working on a resolution. They, like us, seem to think it's the HD but there's no point in just replacing it until they find out what's actually causing it to act this way since it could be the motherboard, connections, in fact any number of things. I can see his point - I'd prefer they investigate then come up with a solution rather than constantly having a shot in the dark, giving this and that a go. When the engineers find the source of the problem he'll get back to me and let me know what they'll do to put it right.

Hang in there guys - there could be light at the end of the tunnel on this issue. I'll post again when I find out more.

thanos_k
Visitor

i;m having the problrm too..... i make a case in support..and i;m from greece and i dont know if its right to sent it to servise(belgium) at this time or waiting for the official solution.
sorry for my english

surfcrazedscot
Visitor

Since I seem to be making progress it might be as well to wait see how I get on. I'll post again when I hear from Sony.

I don't think there's much point in sending the laptop for service if they don't know what's causing the problem yet.

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Send you laptop to SONY and refer them to my thread. Sony already fixed the clicking sound problem. The problem was the connector of the harddisk to the motherboard. Check this link for the sequal: CLICK ON ME FOR SEQUAL

Looks like Sony put the wrong connector in all the FE11S laptops

thanos_k
Visitor

CARELINO please contact with me at thanos_k2005@yahoo.gr i have some qest about sending it to sony

profile.country.en_NL.title
Carelino
Visitor

Just post your questions on my thread...there are more people with same problem

opusensemble
Visitor

Product: Sony VGN FE11S/ FE21M

This is an anoying and disturbing sound! It irritates the most pacifist soul trying to get some work done on his laptop.

It's an ABSOLUTE SHAME for a brand like Sony that such a basic flaw had not been detected by Sony assembly lines' QA tests.

This is a clear indicator that for Sony customer satisfaction comes after profit seeking.

Even a simple HP from a retail store in summer promo prices would have been a better choice than this SCAM!!!

I demand assistance from Sony! And whit me is the voice of a wide European unsatisfied crowd!!!

Who is Sony trying to convince? A simple skilled 2~3 person team during one week at the most would solve this Hard Disk firmware problem. If Sony Engineers got paid for the work they do, they would have a solution by now to all the hundreds of thousands of unsatisfied UE customers.

Remember that a lot of customers do not complain, simply because they don't know how to!!! This thread is the top of the iceberg of an unsatisfied customer community.

The hard disk clicks in my home (in Lisbon/Portugal), as it clicks in Rebeca's home (in Madrid/Spain), ans it clicks in Luc's home (in Paris France), as it clicks in Olga in Dusseldorf , Vladimir in Poland, Daniela in Copenhagen... clicks in your house too, at your broadband 3G network usage on the top of the hill? So, join the www.click-club-vaio.com !!!!!

All together (including Sony's assembly line) it forms a clicking orchestra of "bargain priced" Fujitsu HDDs.

How much does a Sony Engineer earn per month?
Surely nothing less than 5000EUR, i believe.

And what kind of work does he do? Leave the kids at school in the morning? Sit at the office and DO nothing to deserve the money he's paid for?

We're all part of the production chain, and IF SONY CANNOT HONOUR HIS PREMISES, CLIENTS WILL START COMPLANING AND WILL DAMAGE SONY REPUTATION.

So, to Sony Engineers: DO NOT under-estimate the power of your customers. SPECIALLY in current days, where they know their legal rights and are willing to fight for them.

Your customers are not a bunch of farmers livingg from agriculture(even if they were, they would diserve your commitment for quality).They are doctors, lawyers, engineers, a lot of them from whom lives depend on.

Dying and sick childs rely on the power of technology in the most critical moments of their lives. Flaws or excuses for lack of accuracy are now longer tolerated in this fast technologically advanced world.

If Sony does not solve this, "I will myself" or someone else create a small company that will work for one-to-three months coding a decent firmware and will Sell it directly to Sony and Fujitsu, and certainly announce some interviews, wich can be easily spread in magazines and all over reputated internet websites, living from the driver royalties, and telling the average potential customer how bad things work at Sony!!

IF THINGS STAY AS THEY ARE
NOT ONLY I WILL DEMAND MY MONEY BACK AS I WILL DEMAND AN INDEMNIFICATION FOR ALL THE PRODUCTIVITY LOSSES IN MY WORK AND DAMAGES FOR MY PERSONAL LIFE, in sending my 2-week brand-new laptop back to the place were it SHOULD HAVE NEVER COME OUT IN THE FIRST PLACE, WITHOUT PROPER QA.

profile.country.en_GB.title
tweety2b
Ex Commander (Was always on)

Hi opusensemble,

We have noticed your post. No need to post several times the same message. Is is considered spam and might lead to a ban. Somebody from our support team will contact you soon to have a talk about your situation and to see what can be done.

Nico Henderijckx
(ex-Sony employee - fanboy forever)
parekhd
Visitor

I used to have the clicking problem too. After installed Notebook Hardware Control and setting the hard disk advanced power management to 254 (max performance) the clicking stopped! No idea...

thanos_k
Visitor

my friends ...sony do not cares about us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
i sent mu lap and they claimed that they fixed they replace the cord ms-10 but the lap still clicks and the last month very much almost every 2 sec!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

we are idiots!