Join now - be part of our community!

Combo Drive Change...

raul
Visitor

Combo Drive Change...

Hi all again

I got the vaio notebook PCG-FX503, I posted about hard drive failure, and a successful replacement from an original 20 Gb ATA-66 to a new 80 Gb ATA-100... With this roomy hardrive I could increasy my possibilities, as long as I dont need either higher processor speed (Pentium III 1.0 GHz onto an Intel 815EM motherboard), RAM (I have 512 Mb) or video memory (standard shared 11 Mb).

The question is that I have this original CD-RW + DVD reader combo drive and I wonder if I could update it and change the original combo drive for a DVD-RW... have anyone of you done something like that??? Do you think I will have any compatibility problem??

Thanks you very much in advance

Best Regards

Raúl

4 REPLIES 4
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Raúl,

A major compatibility consideration will be the front bezel (drive fascia). If you can source a drive from the same manufacturer and model range then hopefully your existing bezel will be interchangeable, otherwise you should have no problem, assuming that the replacement drive has the same form factor as the existing.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
raul
Visitor

Hi Raúl,

A major compatibility consideration will be the front bezel (drive fascia). If you can source a drive from the same manufacturer and model range then hopefully your existing bezel will be interchangeable, otherwise you should have no problem, assuming that the replacement drive has the same form factor as the existing.

Thanks for your answer mate !!! The form factor should fall into place, as the form factor and dimensions seem to be a standard... I think the best is taking out the old drive, and compare with the one I want to acquire abd ensure that dimensions and connections are compatible, and pray for the rest to be too (all I have seen are UDMA33)... I have seen the Sony DW-Q520A, it seems a good value and stuff...

Best Regards

Raúl

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I think the best is taking out the old drive, and compare with the one I want to acquire 

Sound thinking - best of luck :slight_smile:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
koymik
New

Please update as of your success! :tongue: