Join now - be part of our community!

COMPLETE NOTEBOOK SHUT DOWN ON DVD EJECT COMMAND - URGENT HELP REQUIRED

mowjow34
Visitor

COMPLETE NOTEBOOK SHUT DOWN ON DVD EJECT COMMAND - URGENT HELP REQUIRED

I have a VGN-FS515H model. I cannot use the DVD drive at all. Every time I try to open the drawer unit, it shuts my system down completely. It just clicks and the who machine switches off.
Is there anything I can do?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi mowjow34 and welcome,

It sounds like a hardware problem with the drive and you may need a replacement.

First check in Device Manager under DVD/CD-ROM Drives to see if your drive is installed correctly and if there are any error messages shown.

:thinking:

mowjow34
Visitor

Thanks for your help. I checked and it states that the DVD is working properly - all the drivers are uptodate. I tried opening the unit really slowly. It was fine until the drawer was about 10cm outside the unit then it just powered down immediately. It looks like there is a short in the drawer unit. Now, where would I get a new DVD drive from? I looked on Ebay and there's not a lot for my Vaio FS Series! eEEK!! Help!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Finding a new one is going to be the least of your problems - it is not simple to fit.

If you Google, you will find lots of cheap IDE DVD-RW drives like this one: -

LG GSA-T40N Replacement DVD-RW Slimline

However, I think you are going to need the manual for the FS-Series, so I've attached it to the bottom of this post - good luck!

mowjow34
Visitor

Blencogo,

Thanks so much! The Laptop works! Everything went to plan, well almost. I have two screws I have NO IDEA where they came from! Otherwise, everything is working great!

:smileygrin: Will be wanting your assistance if anything else goes wrong! Hope you don't mind?

:wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Well done - it is a bit of a tricky job.

Let's hope the two screws weren't holding anything important!

Regards

:wink: