Join now - be part of our community!

Connecting S-Video to TV

RudeYute
Visitor

Connecting S-Video to TV

Hi,

Trying to connect my Sony Vaio FS-315Z up to my TV.
Have a S-Video > Scart lead, and using nVidia GeForce Go 6400.

Connected up fine (tried it as only scart in tv, so hardware aspect is correct). Now, in Windows, go to settings, attached screen 2 (fine), and then hit apply (screen goes blank and tried to adjust), but then its back to how it was (need to press "attached" again). Also have ticked "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor".

If I go to the advanced settings and the nVidia tab, and press "detect displays" it still only shows "single display" and "laptop display".

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong? The S-Video cable is working fine with other devices, so that's not the problem.

Also, tried to find updated drivers for the video card, but can't seem to find them on nVidia site.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi - I'm a bit confused!

I didn't think the FS Series had a s-video out connection. Are you using a Docking Station?

Are you sure you have given the correct model number?

:thinking:

RudeYute
Visitor

The docking station has S-Video connection on it.

RudeYute
Visitor

Forgot to add, I have now updated the drivers using a modified inf - working fine, but still not able to connect to my tv.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi,

Check the specifications for your Docking Station. The only one I know for the FS Series of Vaios with a s-video connection is the one supplied with the FS-215Z (TV receiver, twin speakers and remote).

Although this has a s-video port, it only works for video IN only - it does not support video OUT.

:wink:

RudeYute
Visitor

Ahh, didn't know that - what a load of rubbish... why would anyone make a laptop with S-Video in but not out?!

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I tend to agree - I suppose it is designed for importing video, editing it and burning to DVD.

The A-Series docking station has s-video and composite video/audio out as well as in, which seems more sensible.

The only way to get a video signal out of a FS is through the VGA monitor connection but to get it to connect to a TV you need a converter LIKE THIS ONE which is expensive. I have seen them cheaper but can't find one - try Google.

:slight_frown:

RudeYute
Visitor

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I'm afraid not - it won't work.

All your video jacks are INPUT to the Vaio only - the s-video, RCA Audio and yellow composite video jacks are all input only.

The only video output you have is via the VGA monitor 15-pin D-Sub socket. If your TV has a PC input then you just need a monitor lead - but only a few TVs have this connection and the only alternative is the expensive converter.

:slight_frown:

RudeYute
Visitor

I have been told I can use this and it should work fine (with the audio wires also)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VGA-to-TV-RCA-S-Video-SVHS-Cable-Converter-Adapter-NEW_W0QQitemZ180004038745QQ...

Looks like that is my only option.