Join now - be part of our community!

Disappearing Bluetooth

christophernut
Visitor

Disappearing Bluetooth

Hopefully there is a genius out there that can help. I have read all the forums here and elsewhere and googled until I am blue in the face but I can't find a solution to my problem. I have a Vaio VGN C2M which comes with built in bluetooth.

Up until the last update from Sony I was able to switch bluetooth on and off with the Wireless Switch Utility. The Wireless Switch Utility now does not display the bluetooth checkbox.

I followed the instructions found on various forums to uninstall the Toshiba bluetooth stack,the Wireless Switch Util and the Vaio Control Centre and then re install them. When I run the Toshiba Bluetooth setup program it asks me to 'please plug in bluetooth device' when it gets to driver installation.I have also rolled back to previous software and also tried the original pre-loaded drivers/utils.

This has now also removed my Bluetooth device from Device manager and no matter what I do Vista does not find it under the new hardware wizard. Also, when I try to manually install the Bluetooth device it asks me for the drivers but does not install when I point it at them.

I dont particularly want to do a full system reset and surely there must be some other way of turning the bluetooth on so it is recognised in Device Manager. As I said I have trawled through the web looking for a solution but there seems to be no definitive answer.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3
xXaurajXx
Visitor

Hi there,
i updated mine today and my bluetooth diecided to disappear on me!
All i did was did a system restore to earlier on in the day and it put it back to normal!

Im fedup with updating things via Vaio updater thingy, i lost my camera capture utility and my bluetooth!

profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Welcome to the club,
Vista quite often needs a disable renable in the device manager to jolt devices back into action. In your case Chrismut I would do a system restore to a time when the bluetooth was working. Better still use your recovery disk and restart your puter as if you were doing a reformat and navigate to the system restore. It will do a clean un interfered with recovery and give the bluetooth update a big miss.

christophernut
Visitor

Thanks Tony..done a system restore and my blutooth devices are now appearing in the device manager.Unfortunately I am still having the problem where the wireless switch utility(WSU) is not showing the bluetooth check box!

I have tried to uninstall the WSU to roll it back to the preinstalled version but it wont let me and keeps asking for a disk.

Is there any way of turning on the bluetooth without using the WSU ? Or has anyone got any ideas how to make the bluetooth checkbox reappear?

Any help appreciated!