Join now - be part of our community!

dvd cd player

jonmerc
Visitor

dvd cd player

hi, i have a viao vgn-a297xp running on xp pro. i took it back to factory settings with the disc, i got it restored okay i thought ,but when i came to play the dvd it would not play or recognise any discs it is as though it has broken ,but when i have taken it back have i done something wrong that anyone can tell me about because it seems strange that it has gone of when i have returned to factory settings , help me please regards john.
p.s. happy new year to all sony people.

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi jonmerc, Happy New year and welcome to Club Vaio.

The bad news is that you probably have a Sony DW-D56A optical drive. If you do a search of these forums you will find that this drive is, quite honestly, a pig. :pig:

After restoring your system, have you run all the Sony Updates from VAIO-LINK? It is possible that updates to Click to DVD and to Vaio Zone etc were keeping the drive working.

It may be worth a read of some of the tricks HERE

The drive itself has probably retained its firmware upgrades but if updating the Sony software doesn't help, you could try to obtain some more recent firmware from somewhere like THIS SITE. If you scroll down to Laptop/Slimline drives, you will find the DW-D56A. There are several there to try but some club members have had success with PFS2 or PFS3. See Motions solution TAMING THE PIG

If you want to get depressed, read THIS VERY LONG THREAD ABOUT DW-D56A

:slight_frown:

jonmerc
Visitor

:laughing: hi, thank you for your help i have got dvd working after insalling the patch you told me about ,this after a computer engineer told me it was broken regards john.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi jonmerc,

That's good news - well done !!

:smileygrin: