Join now - be part of our community!

DVD drive not working and I SHOULD know better

TygerTyger
Visitor

DVD drive not working and I SHOULD know better

It doesn't look good for a Vaio-Master to ask for help but nevermind I'm getting worried. :smileygrin:

My DVD/CD-RW drive has just sort of stopped working, when I put in a CD or DVD (both give the same result) the reading light flashes, the drive grinds away with a clockwork rhythm like it's reading the drive......and that's it. It's been doing that for 15 minutes but it can't seem to read anything on any disk I put in. I'm sure it's not a dirty lens because one day it worked perfectly then the next day nothing. And it's not just a dodgy laser cos CD's and DVD's use different lasers.

And another question I should know the answer to, where do I get the driver to try a reinstallation? I can't run it off a disk obviously, it's not on Vaio link and it's missing off Panasonic's site cos it's OEM provided.

13 REPLIES 13
TygerTyger
Visitor

Well reinstalling Nero didn't work. Various burners come up with various errors and I still can't read certain disks. I don't have any cleaning fluid but I've used a proper cloth to no avail. Thanks for your help everybody I think it's time for a repair job.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

:cry:

Good luck with that Tyger!

cuteiepiecat
Visitor

SOUNDS LIKE THE DRIVE IS DEAD TRY PUTTING A NEW ONE IN THINK YOU WILL FINED THAT WILL SORT IT OUT FOR YOU.

simos
Visitor

Hello Friends,

I have also the same problem with the dvd-rw (VGN-S1XP)
It reads the cds but when I try to read dvd a sound occurs and nothing happends ....no messages nothing ........