Join now - be part of our community!

DVD rom drive ticking noise - any ideas?

sunking101
Visitor

DVD rom drive ticking noise - any ideas?

With my new VAIO, yeah I'm a glutton for punishment, when I put a CD or DVD in the ROM drive it makes a weird ticking noise for several seconds. It is unlike any noise I have heard before on a ROM drive. Everything works fine but this noise strikes me as being abnormal. My drive is an Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560A and the laptop is the NR21Z.

*PS The noise happens with every disc and they are all in perfect condition so please don't mention scratched discs or a problem with certain types of media - this noise accompanies every disc.

1 REPLY 1
broochie
Visitor

With my new VAIO, yeah I'm a glutton for punishment, when I put a CD or DVD in the ROM drive it makes a weird ticking noise for several seconds. It is unlike any noise I have heard before on a ROM drive. Everything works fine but this noise strikes me as being abnormal. My drive is an Optiarc DVD RW AD-7560A and the laptop is the NR21Z.

*PS The noise happens with every disc and they are all in perfect condition so please don't mention scratched discs or a problem with certain types of media - this noise accompanies every disc.

I suppose the cd/dvd, while spinning could be hitting against the top cover of the drive, as the distance btwn the cd while seated in the tray & the top cover of the drive is very very small... tiny l'd say :slight_smile: