Join now - be part of our community!

Explorer.EXE Problem

nippe
Visitor

Explorer.EXE Problem

Hello

When I start my computer ( vaio vgn s5hp/b) and sign in, there comes a message on the display: Explorer.EXE -error (0xc0150002)
When I click OK the message goes away, and lives nothing but the wallpaper.There are no icons, or start menu, and i cant do anything. I cant get to the taskmanager, or any other menu.
What should I do? I havent created a safe disc, so I cant do a recovery install, and I cant reinstall the whole windows, because I dont have the safedisc :S I have original windows xp install disc but with this vaio serial number it wont work?
What should I do? thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
nippe
Visitor

Have anyone had the same problem?

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi nippe and welcome to Club Vaio.

This is likely to be caused by a virus or perhaps by incomplete installation of KB923191.

As you know, the usual way to get into the computer is by pressing Alt+Ctrl+Del to bring up Task Manager, ending the Explorer.exe process, click on New Task and Cmd and type in Explorer.exe.

As you say this doesn't work, you will need to use the Recovery Console to replace the two Windows directories

C:\Windows\WinSxS
C:\ Windows\SoftwareDistribution

I would try to copy these directories (with all Updates installed) from a friend's computer running XP Pro.

Put the XP Pro disc you have into your drive and boot to the 'Welcome to Setup' screen and press R
this will open the Recovery Console and you should be able to copy the two directories from a CD to C:\Windows.

First task if this works is a FULL virus scan.

I am fairly sure other methods such as running a repair install do not work.

Good Luck.

:wink:

EDIT: By the way, you will need to logon as Administrator to get into the Recovery Console - I hope you remember the Administrator password??? If you have forgotten the password, try repeatedly tapping F8 when you see the first Vaio screen when booting - this should bring up the Advanced Startuo Options. Try to open in Safe Mode with Command Prompt or MS-DOS Mode.

:thinking:

Resonate
Visitor

If yoy look in your IE Folder were the files are usually C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer Just have a quick check to see if there are to files one being EXPLORER.EXE and another iexplorer.exe (or .EXE) delete the the EXPLORER.EXE & double click iexplorer.exe this should restore the application back to normal but remember to delete the Start menu shortcuts too.

EDIT ------
Even though im saying iexplore for some reason unknown to man :thinking: it takes out your running of explorer, you can also try task manager Start > Run > taskmgr
(CTRL+ALT & DEL) look down running list of processes Stop EXPLORER.EXE then ren explorer.exe within Taskmanager this also works