Join now - be part of our community!

Fan speed PCG-Z600TEK

Bricktop
Visitor

Fan speed PCG-Z600TEK

Hi all. My first post here.

I've recently upgraded to XP pro on my Vaio PCG-Z600TEK. It's running great. My problem is that the fans seem to be running at full speed from boot up, and they never stop/slow down. I have no control over the fan speed. The option to alter fan speed/load is not available in Bios.

When I try to run powermanager, I get an error box on screen saying "Unable to get interface to PCF Manager".

I wouldn't nomally be bothered about the noise, as it must be keeping things nice and cool, but when I'm studying, the noise is driving me bonkers.

Tings I've tried:

Uninstalling and re-installing jogdialer
Uninstalling Shared Libraries and reinstalling

Bios says I'm running in ACPI

Device manager says I'm running ACPI thermal zone and ACPI power button

Many thanks for any suggestions in advance

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Get the Windows XP Pro version of PowerPannel from www.vaio-link.com

Bricktop
Visitor

Get the Windows XP Pro version of PowerPannel from www.vaio-link.com

I have looked for this version, but cannot find any version on the site. The only downloads that seem to be available for download for me are :

Audio
Pointing Device
Video

Hotkey
Jog Dial
Shared Libraries
Sony Utilities

Am I missing something?:smileysad:

kee-lo_

No you're not missing anything, doesn't seem like they have it on VAIO-Link.

If you put on the latest Sony Shared Libraries and try to install PowerPannel, any luck then?

rustyjh
Visitor

This sound remarkably similar to problem I am experiencing with a GRT816s. I have two but one of them seems to run the fans a full speed from boot. It is also running virtual PC so I wonder if that has anything to do with it. m Are you running any server apps?

Bricktop
Visitor

No you're not missing anything, doesn't seem like they have it on VAIO-Link.

If you put on the latest Sony Shared Libraries and try to install PowerPannel, any luck then?

Phew. Thought I was going nuts. I've installed the latest shared libraries. I've installed everything that is available from the Vaio-link site for my model for Win XP, except the audio, video and pointing device.

I'm also not running any server apps.

I shall try uninstalling jogdial, shared libraries, utilities and hotkey again and try re-installing in a different order. I'm in the middle of study so won't be able to do it for a few days.

Can anyone recommend an order in which to install these to minimise conflicts between them? Is there a recommended install order?

Again, many thanks in advance and thanks for helping this far.

PS - The fans are doing my head in. I feel like I'm working in an airport.:smileysad:

Bricktop
Visitor

Nearly forgot to mention.

I don't have a separate copy of powerpanel to install. It seems to be a prog that is incorporated within Jogdial. Is this correct, or should I be trying to source a separate copy of powerpanel?

kee-lo_

It's not within JogDial.
Try the Recovery CD, it seems to be on there.

Bricktop
Visitor

I had a feeling it might be on the recovery CD. I've requested a new one from sony, but without the receipt they cannot send me one. My laptop was a gift to help me with my studies, so I have no receipt. My mum can't find it either.

Seriously wishing I hadn't bothered upgrading now. I'll try Sony again :slight_frown:

kee-lo_

Yeah you need proof of purchase.
Check the last disk.