Join now - be part of our community!

FS-215S Problems

FS-215S Problems

As the title says, I'm less than impressed with my FS-215S. My problem is this; apart from the excellent screen (best I have seen on a non mac notebook) and the nice styling, this is possibly the worst notebook computer I have owned.

Where to start? Well I thought I had done my homework on this one, I really did. Most of the reviews I read gave this machine a good rating with the caveats that the perhaps the HD could have been faster and that the battery life was average at best. I bought an FS knowing this and accepting it as a price I was prepared to pay for the screen (I wanted to be able to accurately edit photos whilst away from my main desktop machine) what I was not prepared for was the slew of problems that I have had with this machine since I bought it last August.

Since then we have had;

1. Wireless networking problems.
When the notebook is running on battery power it keeps dropping the network connection (although the signal strength/data rate appears OK in the system tray) forcing me to "repair" every few minutes and as such renders the machine virtually unusable for all intents and purposes on my home wireless LAN whilst using the battery. Oddly this issue fixes itself when the note book is on AC power. At first I thought it might be a problem with my wireless router, but no other computers that I have tested on the network suffer from this problem. In addition, I have experienced this fault on several other wireless networks when using my vaio. All this would seem to point to a problem with the wireless adapter (or at the very least the drivers) used in this notebook.

2. Slow boot times.
On a number of occasions my vaio has developed a fault where it seems to take forever to boot. The windows XP loading screen comes up and the progress bar crawls across the screen for about 8-10 mins. Eventually the desktop appears, but without any icons and then sits for another 2-3 mins before everything appears to have loaded correctly. Even at this point, any programmes run at a snails pace and I can clearly see that the mouse pointer "stutters" across the screen as if the processor is under heavy load, even if no applications are open. At first I thought that I might have picked up a virus or other nasty as there seemed to be a lot of HD activity even when idle, but scanning with Norton, Ad-aware, spybot, etc found nothing. I even tried Rootkit Revealer and Blacklight in case it was something more serious, but still found nothing. The first time that this happened, I found that restoring to the previous day's configuration fixed the issue. The next time it happened the most recent restore point failed to restore properly, forcing me to work back though the system check points until I eventually found one from 2 months previously that worked. This however "broke" several applications that then had to be installed from scratch. Currently the notebook is OK if a little slow, but I fear that I will see this issue again...

3. DVD/CD drive issues.
For the last 3 months, the DVD drive had been a bit "odd" sometimes, but nothing that couldn't be lived with. In the last 2 weeks it has become an issue that can't be ignored. It will refuse to read some disks, everything from CD-Rs through to "pressed" retail DVDs. Sometimes I get told "no disk in drive" on other occasions I am left to deduce that something is wrong from the "whirr, bzzert...CRUNCH!" sound that repeats over and over from the drive until I give up and press cancel. This came to a head last night when I tried to burn a set of recovery disks (2 DVDs). First of all I kept getting either "No disk in drive" or "disk type not recognised" messages, which forced me to try about 7 different blank DVDs (from 2 manufacturers) until I managed to get it start burning. When it did start burning the "Time left to go" started at about 3 mins and climbed up to 5, 10, 30... Eventually settling at about 65mins. 65 mins !!! even if it is having to uncompess the data from the recovery partition on the fly (which, judging by the size of the partition versus the capacity of 2 DVDs, I don't think that it is) that's still crazy. Seeing as it was 11:40pm, I decided that I really didn't have the patience to sit and nursemaid the thing into the small hours, so I cancelled the burn.

Last night I tried to get onto the vaio online support site, but it appeared to be down. Next stop was this forum, somewhere I had not yet been. What I read in the first 10mins made me feel sick. The number of people who seem to be suffering from exactly the same problems as me, with both FS series and other vaios is quite.... scary.

Where do I go from here? My vaio was bought in August, so I assume will still be under warranty, but to be honest, from reading the comments on this forum, I don't hold out much hope of Sony helping much.

Apologies for the length of this, my first post, but I really just had to get all of that off my chest!

Left thinking I should have spent that extra £500 and got a Mac Powerbook G4...

Charlie.

11 REPLIES 11
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The best way to get support is to phone them.

Thanks for the reply kee-lo, I was on the support site today from my work PC, but now that I am back at home I am having the same problems viewing the site.

Thought that it might be Firefox causing the problems, but then I remembered that I was using firefox at work today too.

This is a pain, cos I was going to see if there were any driver updates that might help too, but of course now I can't access them either :slight_frown:

Pah!!!

I just tried to get onto the Vaio Support site using my home desktop PC and guess what? It worked!!!

That means that, of 3 computers I have used today, the only one incapable of accessing the VAIO support site is...

...drumroll....

... my VAIO

Also, if you spend nearly £1000 pounds on a product, you would think that they would have the decency to provide a free helpline number.

Also doesn't look as if there are any updates on the support site, just the original drivers and crap software that was packaged with the machine.

Kris1990
Visitor

i have a fs and mine is really fast

robpaxton
Explorer

My brother in law got an FS series computer for Christmas and it took an age to start up it was also very glitchy.

I uninstalled Vaio entertainment, Vaio media, the free trial rubbish, Norton security suite, and all of the Symantec Liveupdate rubbish. I then replaced the firewall, antivirus, and antispyware with more sensible options.

He's now got a computer that runs smoothly and starts up much more quickly.

I would recommend you give that a go after you've created your recovery disks.

Norton security suite and the Vaio entertainment/media suites (particularly if you dare to put media files in the registered media folders) are real processor and disk access hogs. They're not very stable either . . .

Thanks for the further replies.

Rob, I took off the crappy Norton suite that shipped with the machine and as much of the bundled stuff as I dared. Currently running Symantec Corporate AV, which is small and unobtrusive along with zonealarm for firewalling.

Just a thought, but do the recovery disks re-install all the bundled crap-ware too or do you get a choice to go for just the OS and required drivers? If the latter is possible, then I might just nuke the HD and start from scratch.

Kris, I'm glad your FS is really fast. Just wish mine was too...

That's the annoying thing, when this machine works, it works well. It's when it doesn't work (ie most of the time) that it's annoying. If you pay close £1000 for something, then you have a right to expect it to work as expected.

Charlie.

robpaxton
Explorer

The recovery installs most of the rubbish as well as XP. It's a shame Sony don't see fit to give users the option of a clean installation.

Did you remove Vaio Entertainment etc.? I've found that can cause intense disk activity and slowdown when it tries to thumbnail & index media.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Charlie,

Sorry to hear your saga!

I'm sure you've tried the following but I wanted you to think we all cared!!!:

For your wireless card - check in Device Manager that the box "Allow this Device to be turned off to save power" is unchecked.

Make sure "802.11x Authentication" is turned off.

Are you sure you have removed ALL the Symantec junk.

Download and run the free trial version of Tune Up Utilities and clear out and de-frag the Registry.

Download the Freeware program Spybot and clear any spyware.

If your Optical Drive is giving out make sure you have it replaced before the warranty runs out.

As Kee-Lo said, you get a far better response from Vaio-Link if you use the phone.

tdw197
Visitor

Hi

I've also had the same wireless problem with my FS.
I installed intel own proSet software (including driver update) and it works much better and almost never drops a connection....I've even forgotten where the repair button is.

Download the software from intels website (according to the type of wLAN card you have) install and choose it to manage wireless network and enjoy....... Don't let windows manage ithe wireless!

As for the slow booting VAIO zone software does seem to cause it to hang, but it is quite good, a difficult one. Usually i just hibernate and don't bother rebooting

Tom