Join now - be part of our community!

FS215Z - C: Drive nearly full!

jay_gob
Visitor

FS215Z - C: Drive nearly full!

Hi all,

I'm steadily building up a nice music collection which is gradually filling up my C: Drive.

I want more space on my C: Drive so I can keep all my music in one place. I believe I'll have to use the Vaio Recovery tool but will this delete all my programs, files etc. Is there a way to back up so that I don't have to reinstall all my programs or am I being unrealistic

Thanks for anyone who can help.

19 REPLIES 19
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I suggest moving My Documents to 😧

Click Start, and then point to My Documents.
Right click My Documents, and then click Properties.
Click the Target tab.
In the Target box, type the location of the new folder or click browse.

jay_gob
Visitor

Thanks very much for your reply, I will give it a shot.

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

D:\my documents\

for example

If you would need to recover your VAIO then, just recover drive C:\
and you will keep your files on D:\

jay_gob
Visitor

seb21 thank you for your reply.

I understand the part about moving all pictures & music to d: but what would happen to all my installed programs as they are stored on c:\program files? Would I need to reinstall all of them?

My thanks to you & Kee - Lo as I always get a quick reply.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I understand the part about moving all pictures & music to d: but what would happen to all my installed programs as they are stored on c:\program files? Would I need to reinstall all of them?

If you use the recovery utility then yes you will need to re-install all third party software/programs. However, moving your my Documents folder to the D drive (as previously detailed) will have no effect on any installed programs – just documents.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jay_gob
Visitor

If you use the recovery utility then yes you will need to re-install all third party software/programs. However, moving your my Documents folder to the D drive (as previously detailed) will have no effect on any installed programs – just documents.

Thanks again... The reason I wanted to keep my music in C: was out of
pure laziness, I find most programs that I use are tailored more to music & pictures stored in C: rather than 😧

Hope you understand my reasoning

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Yes I understand your reasoning jay_gob, but it is usual fairly simple to configure most programs to accept an alternative storage location.

Another very good reason for storing music and other personal documents and files on a drive separate to the operating system is that, in the event of disaster, a system recovery is required these files (residing on a different drive) will be unaffected.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
jay_gob
Visitor

OK listening to reasoning I'm gonna move all my documents to 😧 and keep all my programs installed on C:.

Speaking of I have some 3rd party software installed on 😧 as well as 'Click 2 DVD' , 'Vaio Entertainment' & 'SonicStage'. Is there a way to transfer these over to C:/Programs files. It may seem a bit weird but I like clean looking drives e.g. 😧 will now be a drive dedicated to my documents. I don't want any software directories stalled there.

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

You cannot move the location of programs – registry entries prohibit this. If you really wish to do this then an uninstall and re-install will be necessary.

well as 'Click 2 DVD' , 'Vaio Entertainment' & 'SonicStage' – 

Are you certain that these programs are installed on the D drive or just have containers on that drive for storage of data – have a look in C:\programs for the originating program….

Either way I suggest you leave any programs where they are.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat