Join now - be part of our community!

FW11E Fn Key On Permenantly??

profile.country.en_GB.title
elwhy85
Visitor

FW11E Fn Key On Permenantly??

I've had this laptop for over 4 years but last year it broke with it displaying blank screen and flashing cursor and with me trhinking the motherboard had blown has been gathering dust in a cupboard.

Though last night for some strange reason it dawned on me it could be the harddrive so i swapped it over with another one i had and hey presto its working again :laughing:

The one problem im getting though is to type ive got to permenantly have the fn button depressed to type 'on that half of the screen'???

Just wondering if there is a solution... let me stress that the num lock key doesnt change anything and whethher its on or off makes no difference.

just to be clear when i press, for example, the letter p i get the * symbol and thats with num lock on and off and the only way for it to say p is if i have the fn key constantly pressed down, which makes typing annoying.

really hope there is a solution, thanks for reading

leroy x

14 REPLIES 14
elwhy85
Visitor

Thanks very much for your help THALAMUS though you're probably right I'm gonna install a fresh windows installation firstly then go from there, as i dont want to get settled into it tehn have a another set of problems down the line.

So i'll do that first then install all the vaio firmware then if that doesnt fix the keyboard i'll report back on here.

Wish me luck!!

This vaiio was vista when i brought i'm assuming windows 7 will be fine on it though???

All the best,

leroy

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Ok good luck..:smileygrin:

Installing Windows 7 should be fine, should you need them here is a link to download the Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities for your FW11E Vaio - Downloads & Preinstalled Drivers and Utilities

If you can't find a Windows 7 driver then use the Vista ones..:smileywink:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Another option..

If the pre-installed applications are important to you then you could use the recovery discs to recovery your Vaio back to factory settings, once completed you could then upgrade to Windows 7.

Another benefit of doing this is that you could quickly check if doing a recovery does indeed resolve the Fn key problem..:smileywink:

danhague
Visitor

Does any think that this could also be a hardware(keyboard) issue. I mean, maybe it looks good when look at it but there might be something wrong inside. http://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vbulletin-smile.gif

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

danhague wrote:

Does any think that this could also be a hardware(keyboard) issue. I mean, maybe it looks good when look at it but there might be something wrong inside. http://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vbulletin-smile.gif

Hi danhague,

it could well be a hardware problem..

However as the HDD that was placed in the Vaio already had Windows & respective drivers from another PC I would suspect a software problem would more likely be the cause at this time..:smileywink:

Using the recovery disc's & restoring the vaio back to 'factory'setttings would be the simplest way of identifying if the problem is either hardware or software..