Join now - be part of our community!

GeForce FX 5600go graphics driver

YoL8R
Visitor

GeForce FX 5600go graphics driver

I wonder why Sony doesn't update those video drivers very often or even anymore. The latests driver was v. 46.90 for the 5600go. I installed the official NVIDIA Detonator driver v. 66.93 and it works quite good. At least the 3d performance improves by about 20%. Just wanna know if there's some newer official driver from sony for the geforce fx 5600go? Or has anyone tried the official sony drivers from a newer notebook graphics-card, like 6200 / 6600 / 6800?

Please excuse my bad english, I'm still learning.
Greetings YoL8R

8 REPLIES 8
TygerTyger
Visitor

Sony's driver support is terrible. I'd just go elsewhere to get one, you could write one yourself in the time it takes them to update, if they do at all.

pdrjones
Visitor

Id like to add to this post if possible.

I have an a217s, with an onboard mobility radeon 9700, the drivers for this are 1o months out of dat on the sony site, BUT... the drivers from the ATI site wont install due to inf errors, somehow the sony laptop wont allow any updates or fresh installs of none specific sony updates.

MY QUESTION IS:
Has anyone got an idea how i can work around this and install drivers for my graffix card please?

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

http://www.omegadrivers.net

Use it at your own risk. Read the FAQ and OMEGA Readme!

CaseMillennium
Visitor

dabel
Visitor

the drivers from the ATI site wont install due to inf errors, somehow the sony laptop wont allow any updates or fresh installs of none specific sony updates. 

The official ATI Catalyst drivers, as they can be downloaded from ATI site, do not support the mobility cards (there's also a note saying that on their sites.. something like "go to the notebook vendor site to download them"). However, I've tried both Omega and DNA drivers and both work fine.

YoL8R
Visitor

I wouldn't have asked for an official driver if there were not any problems with the official drivers from NVIDIA. Those are meant for desktop PC's only. Also I can't install them with the executable. But after failed installation those inf files are still in the temp directory and I can use those files with the Windows driver update. I chose the 5600 desktop version and forced to install them, because there is no entry for the "go" version. When it's finished I can open the NVIDIA driver settings and it displays GeForce 5600go, so it has detected that I have a notebook graphics card in my system. That's how I did this.
As mentioned before there are some problems: when my GRT715M switches to standby mode, It does not reactivate the screen after getting it back from standby mode. Also OpenGL applications seem to freeze after a short period of time. On the other hand the newer driver improves the 3d performance by about 20% in OpenGL and DirectX.
So it's difficult for me to decide what driver to use.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to force it to use them either.

dabel
Visitor

However, both Omega and DNA drivers are either for ATI Radeon or Nvidia graphic cards and both DO support the mobile chipsets. So maybe installing one of them might help you.