Join now - be part of our community!

USB adapter

profile.country.en_GB.title
@4967457401015621
Visitor

USB adapter

It really seems like Sony have forgotten about the VP, I know lots of people want an alternative way of connecting the VP to USB, here's one for the NW-HD3 , sadly I couldn't see one for the VP :slight_frown: Also, I got a phone call from Sony today regarding the charge that was present on the battery cover the other day (I mentioned it in another thread) - suprise suprise, they claimed the VP was fine. I'm not suggesting it's a big deal, but I want to know why there is an electrical connection to the battery cover. It's not dangerous, just poor design. I was told the reason was because the VP has no ground, whereas the amp does - I told them this in the first place :smileythinking: They didn't bother to say why there was a charge on the cover in the first place, it's not static.. The guy suggested I email them instead, I might, just on the grounds that I'd like Sony to admit their mistake, not treat me as an imbecile.. oh well.

9 REPLIES 9
Elkingti
Visitor

The only accessorie avaiable is a bag for the VP, it's a shame.
That USB adapter is very nice, sadly nothing for VP.

everythingSony
Visitor

Hi, thanks for that.

What I don't understand is why they can't do this for the VP?

The VP uses the mini-B connector (I think that's its proper title) to connect via USB. I also have a Blackberry and it also uses mini-B though those clever people have developed a charger that is just like a mobile phone charger and it goes straight into the Blackberry via the mini-B port. Simple thinking! I have always wondered if the VP could use this charger though I just dont have the guts to plug the adapter in incase I fry my VP.

On a second note, I think the NW-HD3 uses a cradle in the same way as a VP. If so, why then would that little adapter on eBay not work for us too?

Any clever bods out there who can solve this conundrum?

Ta

@4967457401015621
Visitor

There's absolutely no reason why sony couldn't make an adapter like that for the VP, though I certainly wouldn't pay £35 for one! However, it looks like the connector is different, which would make sense as the two products were developed by competely seperate branches of Sony. It's possible that your charger would work, though it presumably can't plug staight into the VP, in which case I don't really see the bonus of it. However, unless you're happy checking voltages and polarities are the same I really wouldn't bother trying it.

diverse
Visitor

the HD1 uses a dock, like the VP but more sturdy!

The HD3 uses the connector that was sold on ebay which is even more flimsy!

wap32
Visitor

Actually it wouldn't be very hard to build a cable for the VP.
The harder part would be finding the appropriate connector(or you can use the one on the cradle, if you feel like trashing it). But after that, you can solder the usb ports directly on the corresponding pins, there are no circuits involved. (see this for more info)

@4967457401015621
Visitor

I know it wouldn't be very hard, and I noticed on the back of the box for my VP the other day that the USB type A connector on the cradle is USB1.1, which means it's slow to transfer from USB2 cameras, so that's something else that could be addressed. Your project looked really interesting and I'd be really grateful if you could email me the pics, I couldn't get them to open (my email). You may want to host them on photobucket, I think it's free and you get a url address for each photo so should suit your needs for that page. I'm particularly interested in the battery area of the VP, as I mentioned in another post I got a shock from mine and I wonder if that's the reason the battery drains so quickly when on standby. I think the VP connector is a proprietary one, so it won't be available for purchase I would imagine.

HeartOfDarkness
Visitor

I can' really understand how Sony can claim to manufacture a portable device when you have to bring the bulky craddle wherever you think you might need to connect the Vaio or recharge its battery. I don't have the nerve as yet to break my craddle in pieces and see how everything's soldered in there, but I would imagine that manufacturing such a small interface as a Vaio connector cable wouldn't be so tough for Sony... Have they totally forgotten about those clients of theirs who bought a Vaio Pocket ?

Sorry for the rant, I always do when something's as blatantly frustrating (and, not to forget, stupid)... 😉

jamieshurlock
Visitor

just a thought but did you realise that on the cradle you have the option of pushing over the cover for the usb to expose a full size usb conector slot?
maybe this will open up the possiblities for your adaptor probs?

HeartOfDarkness
Visitor

This full-size USB plug is for the Pict-Bridge functionnality, so you can plug your APN and stuff to download their content to the Vaio pocket... So not really usable in that case. 😕