Join now - be part of our community!

Hard disk crash: possible design flaw sz3

mschipperheyn
Visitor

Hard disk crash: possible design flaw sz3

Hi all,

A few weeks ago, after using my new sz3 for only 2 weeks, my hard disk crashed and had to be replaced. Extremely annoying of course, but how could it happen? After using the Sony Vaio sz3 for a month now, I think it may have something to do with the battery. The way the battery locking mechanism works, makes it very easy to accidently unlock the battery and position so that it becomes detached from the laptop. Let's say you pick the laptop up and hold it in your hands. I've had several times when somehow the battery lock switch unlocked through contact with my hand. All of the sudden, the laptop is without power. Seems like a possible way to crash a harddisk.

Anyway, I hope Sony reads this as well, b/c imho it is a significant design flaw and should be addressed.

Kind regards,

Marc

1 REPLY 1
skykit84
New

It would be pretty hard to damage a drive because of this
the reason it crashed is probably just a faulty drive... im guessing it had the click of death?

I bought a brand new drive a month ago for my desktop and within weeks, it died with the same issue
its almost inevitable that a drive will go and from the start, we are taught to backup always

its annoying but afterall, its technology and a drive is quite complex in that the platters and heads are continously in use frm the time you turn on, to the time you turn off.

i've got a slight loose batt but it never fails contact, if it does, this is covered under warranty.

the latch sometimes and very rarely i might add unlocks but you need the other latch to unlock it properly.

mines an sz2xp btw.