Join now - be part of our community!

Hard drive failure?

profile.country.GB.title
ribatte
New

Hard drive failure?

I have an FE31Z of about 2 years of age. A few days ago I was booting into Vista and after the usual green bar where it would normally go into the log on screen I got a very brief BSOD with some writing but did not stay up long enough to read. This happened several times. I tried safe mode, normal, last known good config and they all failed. So I popped in the Vista upgrade CD to repair windows. This I did but had no affect whatsoever.

So I reluctantly went to reinstall Vista. It copied and expanded files then rebooted (can't remember whether it's normal to reboot there or not) and it said press any key to boot where I left it to carry on the installation but it couldn't get past this screen and said that there are errors on the drive, 'press ctrl+alt+Del to restart'. So I formatted the disc and started installation again, from a fresh clean drive.

Now I just get a screen telling me that the hard drive or removable media drive may be failing!! I have checked for errors and nothing is found. I am really at a loss of what to do. Can anyone help? I consider myself an advanced user but I think this is actually dieing.

Richard

2 REPLIES 2
JonnyThunder
Visitor

It's easily possible that your HD is dying. Once sectors are marked BAD on the disk, they are generally ignored after that - so some error checkers will report no errors if the disk is rescanned. My advice to you is that the likelihood of it being a HD (or controller) problem is quite high. You can usually tell when an HD is failing by the noises it makes (harder with laptops, but not impossible).

profile.country.GB.title
ribatte
New

Thanks for the reply. That's what I suspected too but I'm just so annoyed that the laptop is barely two years old and the HDD is going already. Sony should sort this out.