Join now - be part of our community!

Help all is lost

Quotidian
Visitor

Help all is lost

i am having this problem with my Vaio Vgn-AR11m its normal boot of windows gives a problem of Win32k.sys error and its safe mode gets stuck at Mup.sys i dont know what to do stuck with a laptop thats way too expensive and i can't even use it help fast

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Hi there and welcome!

All may not be lost just yet so hold tight.

Everything I've found about Win32k.sys errors so far points to faulty Ram, but I wouldn't swear by that.

I think that you're looking at a fresh install of windows, but don't do anything yet until some of the more knowlegable guys appear in here.

There are possible ways to save your data though so don't get too down just yet:smileyhappy:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Quotidian and welcome to the forum.

Win32k.sys error during normal boot usually indicates a driver problem and the freeze at mup.sys when booting in Safe Mode would tend to indicate that this is the culprit.

From what I understand mup.sys is associated with USB devices, so try unplugging all external USB devices, including your USB mouse (if you use one), and then try booting in Safe Mode.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
jumpsuit
Expert

Thanks for coming in Rich!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

LOL – hang on, is there an echo in the room….:smileygrin: :wink:

Quotidian,

Further research suggests that Mup.sys may not necessarily be the culprit but just the last file to be loaded before resources are passed to Windows XP load. For further reading have a look at this HUGEthread from another forum.....

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

WOW that is a long thread with multiple different theories and solutions - but seems to support your USB theory Rich.

Mup.sys (driver for the Multiple UNC Provider) seems an unlikely culprit. The next load is usually the ACPI drivers which will look into the BIOS for the Extended System Configuration Data (ESCD) which keeps a static data list of the USB Plug-and-Play devices.

There is a BIOS update (Version : R0130J6) for the AR11M at VAIO-LINK that is not for this specific purpose but a fresh flash may sort the problem if the ESCD is corrupt. Alternatively, resetting the BIOS Defaults may work. Not sure how else you can clear the corrupt data.

:smileythinking:

Quotidian
Visitor

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the solutions but i cant logon to the computer and once it did but nothing seemed to work and then again the win32k.sys (blue screen of death) appeared and i think it has to go back to the plcae it came from i have a 2 year warranty but i only got it for 3 weeks or so I thank you all for your time

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

It may be worth restoring the BIOS Defaults as it will only take minutes.

1. Start your VAIO.
2. When you see the VAIO logo, press F2 repeatedly to enter the BIOS.
3. Once in the BIOS, Press F9 to restore the default values
4. When asked to confirm, press ENTER.
5. Press F10 to save the configuration and exit the BIOS.
6. When asked to confirm, press ENTER again
7. The system will re-boot

If this doesn't work then take the Vaio back to the shop for replacement. If it is hanging when loading ACPI it could be caused by any piece of hardware in your system. At this point the Vaio is allocating memory resources to every hardware device. Could be anything (except your Hard Drive which is obviously working up to this point) or the memory itself or possibly the Power Management Utility. This is why that thread is so long and offers so many possible solutions.

Good Luck!

:slight_frown: