Join now - be part of our community!

HELP PCV-V1

Akanksha
Visitor

HELP PCV-V1

My dinosaur of a computer has finally thrown a strop and stopped working all together.

It does it's POST, does Plug and Play initialisation, then detects hard-drives etc and then doesn't do anything after that. It just stays still.
Although this issue had been happening over the last month after a couple of power on/offs, eventually it would come on . Except that on Wednesday I renewed my Norton Subscription and it updated the system and asked for a restart, after which it has stopped working altogether.

I have already taken a backup so I know I need to reformat my hard drive, but the trouble being that the on-system hard-drive (Matshita -810) stopped working a year ago. And although I had turned into Sony for repair, who apparently replaced it. It still didn't work after that, it doesn't even flash a light on power-up so I am guessing it's completely unusable. I had work to get on with so I just got an external CD-drive which has worked fine so far.

Now to use the recovery disc, I need a CD-rom but I can't see my external CD-ROM listed in the BIOS, does anyone have any idea of how to recover this system using an external CD-drive? In the BIOS, what settings need to be changed?

If anything, I actually have an ipod which could be used as an external hard-drive for rebooting? Does anyone know how to do that?

Any help will be much appreciated. Thank you

15 REPLIES 15
Akanksha
Visitor

From their support website, although reading again I have been told that it could be higher than that.

I am trying to use a laptop to boot the system but in the meanwhile I have decided to take this matter seriously. I am thinking of reporting this to the consumer protection council

I have an apple ipod which I bought in America but I could get it repaired in the UK. They can support and so should Sony!

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

From their support website, although reading again I have been told that it could be higher than that.

I am trying to use a laptop to boot the system but in the meanwhile I have decided to take this matter seriously. I am thinking of reporting this to the consumer protection council

I have an apple ipod which I bought in America but I could get it repaired in the UK. They can support and so should Sony!

Yeah I was going to say, they can charge you up to £1000 if they wanted, which I think is wrong as the mobo's probably only worth £140!

Go for it, I like to see people take the bull by the horns!

Hope you win :slight_smile: :tongue:

Akanksha
Visitor

Actually Sony contacted me the other day and they have agreed to repairing my computer for FREE! Though I am not holding my breath on this because they did say that the repair will not be carried out if the machine was severely damaged - i don't quite understand what that means!

But for now, i am glad that my computer is going to repaired, in the meanwhile I have bought a toshiba notebook UA200 (vaio's are just tooo expensive!) do you know of a vaio notebook which is a reasonably good spec (dual core and stuff) and is about £800?

kee-lo_

Glad to hear you'll get it repaired.

Tosh's are not bad?

A good VAIO depends on what you want it to do, and really I'd wait until February when Vista is finally released.

Akanksha
Visitor

Well this particular one is terribly noisy, the fan is completely on all the time and the machine is getting heated up. whereas when I look at my brother's sony laptop (enviously, ahem!) it doesnt make any sounds or anything!

And i dont think I want to wait until Feb I think that would be foolish given that windows doesn't have a good track record of getting it's OS rolling seamlessly first time around - I il give it a year before I move to Vista. Though I think the prices of Windows XP laptops would come down quite a bit by then, may be....?

And as for my computer, well I used to do a lot of mathetical stuff on it, what with my uni programme and stuff but now that I am in the working world (boooo!) all my computer does is check e-mails and browse the internet! Hehe.

kee-lo_

You'll be happy to know that a lot of laptop prices are falling to make way for Windows Vista, so it's a good moment to buy if you don't want to have Vista the day it's released (you're wise there LOL)

I have a feeling new VAIOs are coming out for Christmas too